Massoth FS Servo Decoder and auto couplers daft idea.

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
In my quest for standard settings of the locos I have fitted with auto couplers, I have set them operate on F16 at both ends, ie F16 operate both together, when in reality you only need one to work.
Sometimes it's a bit of drain in the power dept., and they stutter or hesitate to work.

So if I have read the instructions I can set up the CV settings on A7 and A8 to be operational direction dependant, so far so good.
So I have a daft idea to re set the larger locos so that only the rear coupler would work, depending on which end was the rear, ie coupled to the train.

Given my past history with an abject lighting failure in trying to set up switchable cab lights with one of these decoders, before I start pulling locos apart to re prog the chips, am I correct in my assumption?

Or to put it simply...

I would like the ability to park up a train either normally by stopping or propelling stock to where it needs to be, set /change the direction to pull away, press F16 uncouple and then drive off and then re set the coupler.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
This should not be a major problem..

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So, were you running the couplers directly from a function output? Perhaps a small relay triggered by the function output and then connected to both couplers?

But I would agree making which coupler is triggered directional seems more elegant. You will have to use 2 different function outputs.

How much current does the coupler draw?

Greg

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Gordon,

You should be able to do this by setting CV173 & 183 to values 5 & 6.

For example, if you have the front uncoupler connected to A7 and the Rear to A8, you would want the rear uncoupler to operate when "standing, driving forward" so set CV183 to 5, and the front uncoupler to operate when "standing, driving backwards" so set CV173 to 6.

Note "Standing, driving forward" allows the function to operate when going forward and when the loco is stopped and still beemed to be going in the forward direction whereas "driving forward" (another option) the loco must be moving.

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Greg,

Not sure of the coupler draw, its up to 9 coaches in my case :rofl:, sorry couldn't resist that one. Never actually measured it, with the multimeter.

Mark,

Ok message received and understood, i'll give that a go my cursory glance at the instructions suggested a value of 4 to me, guess I am as my tag line suggests.
So three locos to open up, two straight forward and one we'll have to see about, (Stainz) as it connected via a chip and one of your adaptors. So may have to add a function chip, unless there is a spare port in the chip.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
Gordon, the CVs are for the 8FS only,

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Looks as if it will be adding an chip then unless there is a dodge in the loco chip instructions, better leave that one to last then.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
Which decoders do you have and I'll check to see if possible?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
<edit>
Mark, and I, typing at the same time..
------------------------------------------------------------

Gordon, Depending on the decoder, you may be able to drive a servo from a function output..
BUT, you will need a 5-6V supply for the servo. - You can use one of the Massoth regulator boards for this.

Mark, Do Massoth still do them? - Thought I saw something about them ceasing? :wondering:

if not available, one alternative, would be:

PhilP.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Which decoders do you have and I'll check to see if possible?

One of these Mark...

20200405_095832.jpg

...if you can recall, I blew up the original, and you sent it off for repair.

So without taking the loco apart, all that is connected to it are, lights, smoke, speaker, couplers (via the adapter) and a blue power buffer (solder connection on underside.).

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
First loco done...

Tried it with setting 173/83 to 5/6, nothing happened, literally couplers ceased to function at all.:swear:
Was on the point of giving up but thought I would try chancing the CV's to 1 and 2 forward/backward only, and success. :)

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Gordon,

I'm sure its still possible with the older (1st gen LS) - can you provide me with the following?

Firmware version: As read from CV7
Do you recall how the Uncouplers are connected?
How do you operate them in this loco?

Values of the following CVs: 53,54,55,56,57,112,113,114,115 & 116.

It may necessitate changing the Uncoupler adapter board to one that allows both uncouplers to operate independently.

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Mark...

Ill get back to you on that one, with the CV settings...

P1000724.JPG

This is the adapter that you sent me, sorry about the pic quality.

20150701_111016.jpg

...just stopped for lunch, so now to re fit the body back in first loco then do the second on, will read the Stainz Cv's after that.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
That's a 2nd Gen LS. To operate the uncouplers independently, you can connect 1 to A1/A2 and the other to A3/A4 - you will need to set some CVs though....CV56 to 31 and CV115 to 31 (this causes the A2/A4 pins to be permanently on creating a GND pin for the uncoupler). Then set CV52 to Required function no + 64 (or 128) depending if the uncoupler attached to A1/A2 is the front or rear. Likewise CV113 (but add the other value - 64 or 128).

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Second loco now done.

Going to leave it there for a while, got the second loco running on rollers as it has needed a lube job as well, so letting it run for a bit.

One thing of note though, if you forget to re set the coupler, and then change direction the other end deploys and the original re-sets, call it a feature, bit like auto pantographs.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
Greg, Massoth ones

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks guys, it's really nice to be learning new stuff here, very little info on Massoth, and for that matter LGB in the US, many forums have unbridled outright hatred of DCC stuff, people will come into a DCC thread and tell you how you should be running battery, it's stupid, etc.

My questions will get more intelligent soon.

Greg