Massoth DiMAX 800Z unit

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
As A continuation of this. I gave my unit to my son and he has managed to do a firmware update on the central station and he has done a firmware plate on the handset. Success in one department the trains now run in the tetherd mode (wire between hand controller and centeral station) but the wireless mode has stoped working when unteatherd and switches on the handset just says No connect?
any ideas guys, is it new firmware and old trnmitter or has the updating changed something else?
Hi - There's another person having a similar wireless connectivity issue as you and I posted the following response to him.........it appears likely you have the same issue with a defective 2.4GHz Navigator transmitter board.

"Try going through the Manual's process to set up your second Navigator using the cable connection instead of wireless and see if it works okay. If so, then it's likely a defective transmitter board. You could also take the transmitter board out of the your operating Navigator and insert it into the problem Naviagator and I think you'll find the defective Navigator works. If that's occurs then you're sure the transmitter board is the problem. I sold two Navigators to customers which I bought from my distributor in Germany about two years ago and they both developed wireless connectivity problems. The customers returned the Navigators to me and I installed two new transmitter boards and they then worked flawlessly. I returned both of the defective transmitter boards back to Germany for warranty support and still awaiting their shipping me two replacement boards.......their warranty service has been slow during the Covid-19 pandemic."

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
IH Thanks for th prompt reply BUT.. I have 3 handsets and after the firmweare update they work on the wire but all 3 stoped working after the update so i hardly think all 3 transmitters would go awol at the same time I wondered if it was a frequency thing as they are old type transmitters one going back to 2005 and had never been update.( Until now but worked ok)I have to admit that i have problems understanding the Massoth instructions they were written for someone who knew what they were doing lol..which isn’t me these days.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hm Massoth updates are not the most reliable of things. I had an update done for me at Glendale some years back that failed, an hour or so on the phone to Germany resulted in the Central Station having to be sent back to Germany at no cost to me be it added. No problem of Glendale either, I really felt for brian when he was struggling to get my CS working for me. Still all worked ok in tje end, but having to send back to Germany is a nuckear ootion that you do nit want to face at the beginning of Harden Railway season. Needless to say updates will never again be indulged in!

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Well i was sort of forced into doing an CS update as it had stoped putting any signal onto the track i knew my controllers worked as i had tested them on another CS/Layout now the revers has occured but only with the radio coms. i will sent massoth an e mail later if no one comes up with a plausable reason for the malfunction, but Massoth are very slow at replying at the moment ( the results of the covid i expect )

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,

If you have updated the firmware of the CS and the Navigators, you may need to update the firmeare in the receiver also.

One other consideration, the latest Navigator firmware has support for 2.4GHz operation and the older technology. You may need to ensure it is using the older technology and each Navigator has a different ID.

On the Navigator, Go to the RC Config menu, From the Channel EU/US option, reselect the correct frequency. Also endure that the Waveband option is set to EU.

Reactions: 1 user

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Hi muns nice to hear from you, i have updated the receiver as well, how do i check i if i am using the old technology i have selected the EU option and its set to channel 1 the thing that is confusing me is the navigator just wont switch on when unteatherd it just says No connection and gives up when you release the ON button.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
IH Thanks for th prompt reply BUT.. I have 3 handsets and after the firmweare update they work on the wire but all 3 stoped working after the update so i hardly think all 3 transmitters would go awol at the same time I wondered if it was a frequency thing as they are old type transmitters one going back to 2005 and had never been update.( Until now but worked ok)I have to admit that i have problems understanding the Massoth instructions they were written for someone who knew what they were doing lol..which isn’t me these days.
Okay, as already mentioned, installing updates in older Navigator may cause problems. At this point, now that I understand you have the older non-2.4GHz Naviagators, that the best option might be to upgrade your older Navigators to 2.4GHz. Massoth as a kit, that includes the 2.4GHz transmitter board and a 2.4GHz Receiver. You might get one and try it for one of your Navigators, and if it works, you can just buy the transmitter boards. I sell the kits here for $230 and the individual transmitter boards for $100.
Massoth 2.4GH Conversion Kit 8130010-2.GIF

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Firstly...If your receiver has a the wire antenna then it will be the older frequency...the model no for the 2.4GHz receiver is 8131001.

I would try reconfiguring one Navigator again as sometimes it dosnt take.

On one occasion I had to reload the firmware on the Navigator.
Happy for you to send me them and I'll try and sort them for you...message/email/call me if you are interested.

Last edited:

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Firstly...If your receiver has a the wire antenna then it will be the older frequency...the model no for the 2.4GHz receiver is 8131001.

I would try reconfiguring one Navigator again as sometimes it dosnt take.

On one occasion I had to reload the firmware on the Navigator.
Happy for you to send me them and I'll try and sort them for you...message/email/call me if you want
Thanks I will have a go at relading the firmware on monday then may be give you a call or e mail

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Success ! I updated the firmware on the hand controller ( but maybe it wasn’t needed )and then found a report on the massoth website re resetting the radio frequency on the handset> they said when you update too 2.01 it basically blanked the radio settings and you need to go through the sequence once to re set it all. so i have done all 3 handsets and they seem to be working now.