Massoth Digital Light bars on CS3 MFX

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody has used any of the Massoth Digital lighting units and run them on the CS3 system with MFX enabled on the track?
On the setup I'm currently playing with, the coach lighting seems to flash in a regular random pattern when the lights are switched off... I can switch them on with the assigned fuction key and they light up correctly. The loco address is set as 'DCC'. If I turn off MFX mode from the track and run the CS3 as a pure DCC system, the lighting behaves as it should.
Has anybody seen this and if so, got a fix?

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

The loco address is set as 'DCC'. If I turn off MFX mode from the track and run the CS3 as a pure DCC system, the lighting behaves as it should.

Hi Andy,
As you know I'm rather a newcomer to DCC.
A few guesses:-
Isn't this what should happen?
Can the loco address be manually set to mfx? Does the board have a separate decoder? If so could the differing control systems be set manually.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Flashing lights is 'usually' a speed-step thang?? - Can you alter CV29 on the lighting modules?

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
The Massoth light bar has a built in decoder which doesn't support MFX.

Phil, its not behaving like running a loco on 14 steps but running it on 28 steps...

Its a semi random flash when the lights are off. With the MFX off, the flash goes away.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Not 'seen' / 'used' one, but does the decoder in the light bar support all the latest lighting effects?

There are things like flourescent strobe, where you get a flicker from a dodgy tube, or the random effect of intermittent pickup.. :think:

Oh, is there a firmware update from Massoth, maybe?

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
The light unit is one of the current versions, and does indeed have all of the effects. The first unit I'd set to fluorescent mode, but the other 3 were left as standard on/off lighting and still had the random flash when lights were off. Vehicle was on a clean/new length of track, and stationary...