Massoth & Dcc Point Control

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Yes and it will just work. You don't usually need to do anything.
I got this one last year from Mark and just turned it on. Works with the old blue one no problem.
The black wire is an aerial because I got the long range radio transmitter in the black one..
DSCF0256 (Small).JPG

The reason I say 'usually' is because you can set up your base station and Navigators on 4 different frequencies so that you don't interfere with your close neighbour who just happens to have a Massoth setup. I wont go into the setup here because you probably wont need it but its easy - just ask.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
No problems..
We regularly have up to four Navigators running at the Heaths..

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Not wishing to open a new thread for a simple question, but.... Can a second Massoth Navigator be added/used alongside the original, and if so, how is it linked to the central station (also massoth)?
Yes, you can use a number of Navi handsets, the CS has several sockets on both front and back (at least the old 1200Z version did, I think the newer 1210Z might have fewer?) and you can plug a cable navi into each socket; when using wireless, you can also use multiple handsets to talk to a single receiver (offhand I think the limit might be 4?).

Jon.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
yep, 4 per receiver and I think its a max of 4 receivers.

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
You can also use the LGB wireless handsets with the appropriate Massoth adapter, I regularly use 2 Massoth and 2 LGB handsets for open days, the only thing I do find is that the LGB sets seem to have a delay but otherwise it all works well.
I am surprised that no one has written an 'idiots guide to Massoth programming' a bit like the 'Dummies books for ....just about everything. Perhaps the 'experts' on the forum could come up with putting a guide together between them???. I I for one, certainly dont find the Massoth manuals easy to follow (or maybe thats just me!) Something we could download and print, I always find it better to have instructions in print so that I can go over them several times.
Any takers?????
Dave

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
That's a good idea Dave. Perhaps its never been done (yet) because there are no experts here - just folk who have sorted out the few bits that they needed.
I'll have a think about how a thread can be constructed to enable several people to build a guide but keep it all manageable and searchable.

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that guys. We shall invest in one for my dads railway. And to conclude this thread, all the points are working fine via massoth DCC thanks to your help! (One thing that winds me up, people asking questions but not posting the end result/answer)

Bruno99

Registered
29 Sep 2015
Moscow (Russia)
Best answers
Dear Duncan,
I'm using 2 navigators with my layout. You just need to configure your second navigator with another address (ID). It's a very simple configuration following the Massoth documentation, step by step.
Based on Massoth documentation, you can have up to 8 R/C modules which should bring enough freedom to manage your layout.

Reactions: 1 user

Ger-Y-Nant

LGB, Automation with DCC
24 Oct 2009
Bridgend
Best answers
Has anyone been using these for a period of time in a real outdoor situation?
I purchased 4 of these to place at the more inaccessible parts of my railway. All was great for the first season, but after the winter they have been starting to fail.
At first I thought it was just me, but I have come to realise that the potting on the unit is incomplete. If the unit is placed in a sunny spot then the plastic case stretches and breaks the seal between the case and the potting material. This leads to a path to the underside of the PCB (where the potting hasn't flowed) which then get wet and fails. I've lost 3 now already.

I'm going back to the 4-way unit that I can place under a building. I've got 6 of this type including some of the original LGB ones and they've never given me a days trouble.

Also having trouble with the Piko switches. They also let water in and not out! I'm going back to the old style kit, LGB motor and Massoth 4-way decoder. They may be old tech, but they've learnt the lessons of time and deployment!

D

Deleted member 1986

Attachments

• PIKO.png
    PIKO.png
    535.1 KB · Views: 0
  • NCE Switch KAT.png
    NCE Switch KAT.png
    518.9 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
...Also having trouble with the Piko switches. They also let water in and not out! ...
My experience is that the Piko point motor 35271 is waterproof but the relay contacts switch 35265 is not. I had three that I used to detect whether the point was thrown but they never worked reliably after rain.