Massoth & Dcc Point Control

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Today we have been trying to do the railways points using the Massoth Decoders I bought last month. The first one has gone fine, as it is pre programmed 1-2-3-4, and all the points work fine off it.
1 = POINT
2= POINT
3= POINT
4= SPARE
Trying to do the second decoder has not worked, I cannot follow or understand the instructions, but have tried, each time it says 'succesful' on the Central Station, but upon getting it wired to the points downstairs it does not work. In this case, what I want to be output 5 on the second decoder.
But when I press to control switch 1 (off the 1st decoder), what I want to be number 5 (on the second decoder) operates at the same time as number 1 on the first decoder.
Please help, in idiots English, when you can. Confused, and I have followed the central station instructions
Have you connected the decoder to a point for programming?

I understand that it might need a 'load' before you can do so....

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I connected a point motor, as the Central Station is in the house away from any track. What ever I try, it just operates as the same as the first pre programmed decoder when I want this second one to be 5-6-7-8. Following on from 1-2-3-4 on the first decoder. Thing is, the instructions are not wrote in a way that is understandable, to someone who just wants to control some points.

Last edited:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I connected a point motor, as the Central Station is in the house away from any track. What ever I try, it just operates as the same as the first pre programmed decoder when I want this second one to be 5-6-7-8. Following on from 1-2-3-4 on the first decoder. Thing is, the instructions are not wrote in a way that is understandable, to someone who just wants to control some points.

I think you may also have to put in a programming link of wire between the PROG DCC terminals....

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I think you may also have to put in a programming link of wire between the PROG DCC terminals....

Not for the Massoth unit (the programming link is needed for LGB 55025 switch decoders).

It should program regardless of being connected to a point motor, however if not connected then there will not be any feedback to indicate success.

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
But how, in plain English would I program a 2nd decoder to 5-6-7-8. Until I connected a motor it said Error, no feedback. But still couldn't work out how to correctly program it.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Posts 19 and 20 in this thread both explain what you need to change.

In regards to how will depend upon your DCC system.

For example, if you have a Massoth Central Station...

1) Connect the Switch decoder (with a point motor connected) to the Programming Track.
2) Press M3 (MENU)
3) Select "Decoder Programming" (Use M1 and then M2)
4) Select "CV Read / Profr." (Use M1 and then M2)
5) Enter the required CV number then M2 (OK)
6) If you wish to read the value from the decoder press M1 (CV->)
7) Enter the required value for that CV
8) Press M2 (OK) to program the CV.
9) Repeat 5-8 as required.

Note: The Navigator has a "POM Switch Decoder" but I believe that method is not supported by the current switch decoder but will be supported in the new 8156101 version recently announced.

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Required CV number been......? 5,6,7 or 8? The central station manual makes ref to enter '¹' then number? This does not make sense. The orange LGB boxes were so simple. The first Massoth Switch Decoder works fine (pre programmed), but its beyond me to make a second Switch Decoder work points on a 5.6.7 and 8 commands. Let alone a 3rd for points 9.10.11 and 12. What's a CV? The manual makes endless ref to CV but what are they. I just want to work points.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Can I suggest you ask your supplier to configure it for you.

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Can I suggest you ask your supplier to configure it for you.
You can, but it is still nice to try and understand. Even PS models has bamboozled us with CV this and CV that. I might be looking at it too simplistic, but surely there is an easy step by step idiots English guide to program a second decoder to work points 5-6-7-8, and even a third for points 9-10-11-12 etc? IE, press this, enter this, press that, then confirm with this. Repeat this, but with different numbers for each switch, confirm by pressing this, then that. Hey Presto..............? There isn't is there.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Well.. It depends..

Posts 19, 20, and 26 tell you what to do..
If you have the manual, it gives the information in general terms, but it depends what you have to program the decoder with.. - The key presses on my Digitrax unit will be different to those on a Massoth Navigator.

We can tell you what must be connected where. - To allow the unit to be programmed.
We can tell you which CV's must be changed, and what to..
If we know what equipment you have, we can probably find someone to give you a blow-by-blow account of which buttons to press..

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
This, taken from the navigator manual, does not clearly say how to program a second, third, even fourth decoder.......... ''Enter CV number as ''1'' thereafter insert the value of the desired address of your switch decoder'' Eh? PS models made reference to unlocking the decoder, but the manual does not mention this under the programming section....... back to analogue seems the easiest way. I may sound dumb, but............... this is not user friendly.
DSC_0478.JPG

Last edited:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
"CV" is Configuration Variable - they are little chunks of data (represented by numerical values) that you program into any DCC decoder in order to make it do the things that you want it to do.

In the back of any decoder manual (Massoth, LGB or whatever make) there will be a table of the important CVs that the particular decoder uses, and the values that each one should be set to (either as factory default or as a user-programmed value). For example CV1 contains the loco address, usually set to a factory default of 3 but you change it as you already know.
Generally you only need to worry about a CV if you need to change it.

From the PDF of the manual for the Massoth 4-channel switch decoder, this is on P.11: (this text is copyright Massoth, no challenge intended by copying it here!)

These are the programming steps for the switch decoder:
Set CV2=77 to unlock the decoder
CV32=1 Output 1 becomes address 1
CV34=2 Output 2 becomes address 2
CV36=3 Output 3 becomes address 3
CV38=4 Output 4 becomes address 4
Set CV2=0 to lock the decoder
A second switch decoder must be programmed the same way:
CV32=5 Output 1 becomes address 5
CV34=6 Output 2 becomes address 6
CV36=7 Output 3 becomes address 7
CV38=8 Output 4 becomes address 8

So, it looks like the way you do it is to unlock the programming by setting CV2 to a value of 77, then you change each of the output CVs (CV32, 34, 36 and 38) in turn to values of 5, 6, 7, 8 respectively; then re-lock the programming by setting CV2 back to a value of 0.
Then the outputs of your second decoder should respond to addresses 5, 6, 7 and 8.

Note this is all from the manual - I've not used DCC point control so haven't done one of these myself! ;)

Jon.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Right..
The reference to 'wire bridges' is for the LGB decoder.. IF you have a Massoth unit, it looks the same but is a different beastie!

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Whoops, posted to early...
You need the manual for the Massoth switch decoder, and to follow that. - Am assuming you know enough to be able to use the Navigator to change a particular CV?

Not meant to be a patronising comment!

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Whoops, posted to early...
You need the manual for the Massoth switch decoder, and to follow that. - Am assuming you know enough to be able to use the Navigator to change a particular CV?

Not meant to be a patronising comment!
To be honest mate, im not sure any more. I have read all the instructions for all the components.......... and none seem clear. To me anyway. Not taken as patronising, and sorry for seeming like I am hacked off with everyone because im a dumb-a*ss. I will be back in the morning with all the serial numbers for the stuff concerned. Thanks. Im sure the decoder manual refered me to the Central Station manual..........

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
The information is all here but it has got buried in the length of the thread.
Lets start at the beginning.
The term CV stands for configurable variable - simply put - you cant change it.
A digital device (your point decoder) has various CV built into it.
On your point decoder;
1. CV2 is the lock, this simply stops you inadvertently changing the settings later
2. CV32 controls point number 1
3. CV34 controls 2, CV36 controls 3 and CV38 controls 4
4. Note - a CV number is the address, like CV2. A CV value is the value you wish to enter.

Muns post (26) above tells you how to change a CV with your Massoth kit..
Note that he says use the programming track. Not your mainline - known as POM - programming on main.(Look at the outputs on you central station).

Philp's post (19) tells you the sequence and the values you need - I copy it here

A second switch decoder must be programmed the same way:

CV32=5 Output 1 becomes address 5

CV34=6 Output 2 becomes address 6

CV36=7 Output 3 becomes address 7

CV38=8 Output 4 becomes address 8

Take it steady, absolutely one step at a time,
best of luck. It does get easier with use - honest!

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Posts 19 and 20 in this thread both explain what you need to change.

In regards to how will depend upon your DCC system.

For example, if you have a Massoth Central Station...

1) Connect the Switch decoder (with a point motor connected) to the Programming Track.
2) Press M3 (MENU)
3) Select "Decoder Programming" (Use M1 and then M2)
4) Select "CV Read / Profr." (Use M1 and then M2)
5) Enter the required CV number then M2 (OK)
6) If you wish to read the value from the decoder press M1 (CV->)
7) Enter the required value for that CV
8) Press M2 (OK) to program the CV.
9) Repeat 5-8 as required.

Note: The Navigator has a "POM Switch Decoder" but I believe that method is not supported by the current switch decoder but will be supported in the new 8156101 version recently announced.
Repeat 5 to 8? As in atatch a motor to each?

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I'm glad that I am a simple analogue user. I think I would have thrown the lot in the bin if I'd have tried DCC!

Reactions: 1 user

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
As there are in this thread simple step by step instructions describing how to do this perhaps you should consider getting some instruction on using a DCC system or at the very least get someone to program your switch decoders for you if you are still struggling.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
GRS run a very useful Massoth DCC training course a couple of times a year - a worthwhile day out and will allow you to get to grips with the basics.....

Jon.