Massoth & Dcc Point Control

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
As there are in this thread simple step by step instructions describing how to do this perhaps you should consider getting some instruction on using a DCC system or at the very least get someone to program your switch decoders for you if you are still struggling.
Maybe so............ though as soon as courses are needed, it fails to be a hobby. Weird, I can signal 400 real trains per day, but cant get into a menu to change some points. Whilst I really do appreciate various peoples instructions, it still does not clarify, what to look for on screen, enter where, and which parts to change, only referring to CV this and CV that. So to actually get into the menu to do this, M3? Thanks though, I wont bring up this issue again.

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The part numbers are, Switch Decoders 8156001, Central Station X1210Z, Navigator Version 1.51-08/07.
Cheers

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Oh dear Duncan, sounds like you're getting yourself in a bit of a tizz over this? Step back for a while and study the manuals for the point decoder and the central station at your own pace. Go back and read the previous posts on this thread again.

As an owner of a complex and capable and expensive Massoth DCC system I think you owe it to yourself to learn it's capabilities.

It doesn't help that a lot of manuals for DCC gear tend to be written by techie types who already understand and make assumptions about the reader's knowledge. Also consider that some manuals go through translation from the original language.

Going on a course to learn more about a hobby is a perfectly valid part of the enjoyment - you meet like-minded people and learn MORE about your hobby in an environment where you can ask questions and have the answer explained and shown to you at your pace and level if you're struggling with something. That's got to be a good thing? Or get a friend in who can show you.

I remember I went on a Fleischmann DCC course years ago, much of it I knew but there were still interesting new things to pick up.

The guys on here are trying their best to help! I can't do a blow-by-blow screeen shot process for you as I don't use Massoth gear, but the principle of what you need to do to program the point decoder isn't complex..

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
We do have a saying in the US: RTFM...

Seriously, there is always an issue when someone has a complex (full featured) system, but wants operation to be simple. It's an endless problem software developers struggle with.

It's basically impossible to take a huge number of functions and make it simple, unless you have "modes" of operation, where you "hide" a number of features in order to simplify the interface.

I'm a software professional and went from an NCE system (simple) to Zimo (complex and not straightforward)... I have had to not only read the manual several times, but actually make notes where stuff was not obvious or sort of "buried" in the menu system.

Greg

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Right, ok, after lots of help and advice I am going to give it another go later on I think. As I understand it I do as underneath?

Attach the point decoder, with a motor in output 1, to the programming track part of the central station.

Decoder Prog then CV READ/PROF

To unlock the decoder enter a '2' in CV-NR;
and a '77' in VALUE
OK

Then, to assign the numbers for each set of points,

CV-NR; 32
VALUE; 5 (in my case)
OK

CV-NR; 34
VALUE; 6 (in my case)
OK

CV-NR; 36
VALUE 7 (in my case)
OK

CV-NR; 38
VALUE 8 (in my case)
OK

Then lock the decoder again by;
CV-NR; 2
VALUE; 0
OK

Please tell me this is how I should have understood it????
Thanks.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, that's correct. :)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

See? Deep breath, read it twice.. ;):p:rock::rock:

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
It works! It bloody works! Thanks for your help everyone! Now, just say I am running loco number 7 quite happily and go to change points number 5, the points change fine, but how do I get back to controlling the loco number 7 again and its sounds without selecting a different point (3 for example). the only way I can see is to re select the loco 7 from the beginning again? But, very happy!

Reactions: 1 user

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Just press the big F button.

But - Lets start at the beginning to check we don't miss something.
You select loco 7 by button F2, then number 7 , then F3 (or you can scroll with F2 repeatedly). This gets control of loco 7.
To change the No.5 points - you press F1 and get the sub heading 'switch comm' on the screen
You press 5 and then change the point with the left or right arrow keys.
If that's how you did it - Just press the big F button.

I don't know of any other way of doing all this but i'll bet there is - that's why I went through the whole procedure

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Cheers Stockers, that works great!

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Now then, consisting trains......... Only kidding.:wasntme:

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Try route planning (sequential point changing to set a route). That'll make you think!

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
OK.

Bruno99

Registered
29 Sep 2015
Moscow (Russia)
Best answers
Hi Duncan
Please have a look at the following link:
The tuto is in French but just switch off the sound and look at the video. The tuto follows the procedure described by Alan and Jon.
The Massoth Service Tool used to program your switch has the interface in English so it will be easier for you
Good luck

Reactions: 1 user

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Not wishing to open a new thread for a simple question, but.... Can a second Massoth Navigator be added/used alongside the original, and if so, how is it linked to the central station (also massoth)?