Low speed problem

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
I recently converted one of my locomotives to DCC and I noticed that it sort of "jerks around" on speed step 1. As soon as I switch to speed step 2, everything is fine and it drives very smoothly. I am using a ESU loksound v4 decoder and have access to the lokprogrammer device. Do you think this is a mechanical issue or a programming issue? I don't recall any rough operation when it was analogue, and speed step 2 is still very slow but there are no problems...

I made a short video of the problem for those interested:

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Have you tried automatic calibration? if not it's worth trying but a little scary first time.
It's one of the features that I really like about ESU decoders.
Find your Loksound manual, if you don't have one download one from this site. ESU - Electronic Solutions Ulm GmbH & Co. KG: Digital decoders
Look up the section on "Automatic calibration of motor" in the Motor control section. It's on page 66 of the latest V5 manual. This procedure doesn't differ from the V4 version.
Just in case it goes pear shaped I suggest you read and note the values of CVs 51, 52, 53, 54 and 55 before you start. You can then revert to the original values if you wish.

Reactions: 1 user

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
No I haven't tinkered with too many of the CVs, I just downloaded the project from ESU's website for this locomotive and changed some of the function mapping. I'll see if I can figure that out and give it a try!

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
update: I tried out the automatic calibration feature and it worked! Locomotive runs very smooth now. Thanks for the tips!

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not a proponent of DCC etc. etc., in fact far from it. Why I'm commenting, is that I was struck by civility of this thread. Man has a problem, askes a question, and gets quality reply.
No beating about the bush, no one pushing their own barrow. Congratulations, chaps.

Reactions: 1 user