Long Running Bachmann Trolley

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
This probably should go into the battery power forum also. This afternoon, I placed my Bachmann battery powered trolley on the tracks at about 5:00 PM. I did some weeding and such while it ran. One thing led to another and my granddaughter came for a visit. We went out for dinner and I had forgotten about the trolley. When we arrived home around 9:30 PM, the trolley was still going. We played checkers and finally at 10:00 PM we decided to call it a night.

At that point the trolley was still going strong. But since it started to rain I brought it in. It's powered by a 14.8 V Li-on battery. I think it's a 4400 Ahr type and has eight cells. The motor block is a USA Trains NW2 block. The control system is one of G Scale Graphics Critter Controls, the enhanced version that has the automatic station stop feature. There is also an ITTC trolley bell sound module fitted and is power from the Li-on battery.

While I realize that the trolley was pulling no rolling stock, I am still pleased with the performance of the battery and of the USA Trains motor block. When I picked the trolley up and felt the underside of the block, it was not even warm to the touch !

This video is the trolley before I swapped the Bachmann block for the USA Trains block. Also, I hadn't installed the bell module yet.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
I sure I've seen this video (or some of it) before. I love the way the crane handles the girders! We've had some scaffolders loading poles and boards in a similar (and very noisy) manner at the new-build opposite recently.:shake::shake::mad:

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
Do you have any dimensions and photos of the battery, please?

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Do you have any dimensions and photos of the battery, please?

Have a look at this. It's the same battery I used in the trolley. Although mine is a 4400mAh.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I too have had impressive results from 18650 li-ion battery packs. I was surprised at how long one of my locos ran with a 3S (11.1v) pack. Not a particularly scientific test but I got over 12 hours on a single charge, and that was with a Phoenix sound card running as well.

Rik

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
Have a look at this. It's the same battery I used in the trolley. Although mine is a 4400mAh.
Many, many thanks for your help. May be one of my work trams will run with that.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I too have had impressive results from 18650 li-ion battery packs. I was surprised at how long one of my locos ran with a 3S (11.1v) pack. Not a particularly scientific test but I got over 12 hours on a single charge, and that was with a Phoenix sound card running as well.

Rik

We've certainly come a long way from the Everyday and Rayovac dry cells I grew up with.....:happy:.....Remember those ? Leaking batteries damaged lots of things. Lionel diesels had "D" cells to operate the horn. On the bottom of the loco, the plate that held the battery in place had a warning to remove the battery when not in use.

Trains and More

Registered
11 Aug 2019
B.C. Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I am running one of those Bachmann Trolleys, but with a Northwest Shortline power unit. My Li-Ion 7,6 V 2.2Ah battery is mounted under the roof and I put a self-baked electronic circuit under the chassis to make it stop at places where a magnet is placed near the track. The unit is designed to slow down and accelerate gently at every stop. I found the running time with a full charge is about 10 hours.