Long Running Bachmann Trolley

Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
This probably should go into the battery power forum also. This afternoon, I placed my Bachmann battery powered trolley on the tracks at about 5:00 PM. I did some weeding and such while it ran. One thing led to another and my granddaughter came for a visit. We went out for dinner and I had forgotten about the trolley. When we arrived home around 9:30 PM, the trolley was still going. We played checkers and finally at 10:00 PM we decided to call it a night.

At that point the trolley was still going strong. But since it started to rain I brought it in. It's powered by a 14.8 V Li-on battery. I think it's a 4400 Ahr type and has eight cells. The motor block is a USA Trains NW2 block. The control system is one of G Scale Graphics Critter Controls, the enhanced version that has the automatic station stop feature. There is also an ITTC trolley bell sound module fitted and is power from the Li-on battery.

While I realize that the trolley was pulling no rolling stock, I am still pleased with the performance of the battery and of the USA Trains motor block. When I picked the trolley up and felt the underside of the block, it was not even warm to the touch !

This video is the trolley before I swapped the Bachmann block for the USA Trains block. Also, I hadn't installed the bell module yet.

ebay mike

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
I sure I've seen this video (or some of it) before. I love the way the crane handles the girders! We've had some scaffolders loading poles and boards in a similar (and very noisy) manner at the new-build opposite recently.:shake::shake::mad:

schienenkönig

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Do you have any dimensions and photos of the battery, please?

Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Do you have any dimensions and photos of the battery, please?

Have a look at this. It's the same battery I used in the trolley. Although mine is a 4400mAh.

ge_rik

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
I too have had impressive results from 18650 li-ion battery packs. I was surprised at how long one of my locos ran with a 3S (11.1v) pack. Not a particularly scientific test but I got over 12 hours on a single charge, and that was with a Phoenix sound card running as well.

Rik

schienenkönig

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Have a look at this. It's the same battery I used in the trolley. Although mine is a 4400mAh.
Many, many thanks for your help. May be one of my work trams will run with that.

Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
I too have had impressive results from 18650 li-ion battery packs. I was surprised at how long one of my locos ran with a 3S (11.1v) pack. Not a particularly scientific test but I got over 12 hours on a single charge, and that was with a Phoenix sound card running as well.

Rik

We've certainly come a long way from the Everyday and Rayovac dry cells I grew up with.....:happy:.....Remember those ? Leaking batteries damaged lots of things. Lionel diesels had "D" cells to operate the horn. On the bottom of the loco, the plate that held the battery in place had a warning to remove the battery when not in use.

Trains and More

Trains and More

Registered
11 Aug 2019
B.C. Canada
I am running one of those Bachmann Trolleys, but with a Northwest Shortline power unit. My Li-Ion 7,6 V 2.2Ah battery is mounted under the roof and I put a self-baked electronic circuit under the chassis to make it stop at places where a magnet is placed near the track. The unit is designed to slow down and accelerate gently at every stop. I found the running time with a full charge is about 10 hours.