Logs

S

Steven C.

Registered
9 Jan 2019
Port Alberni, BC
I understand that G scale is the closest scale to my 1/24 scale.
I am just starting to build trucks. and what I need to do is fill my logging trailer with logs.
Where might I find logs that would look very realistic model
Regards from The Eagles Nest

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
You could use suitable prunings from garden plants.

S

Steven C.

Registered
9 Jan 2019
Port Alberni, BC
Thanks for the information Mr. Britan

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Check out different species of tree branches for ones with bark that will scale well to what you are modelling. The finer bark species will probably suit better for a scale model. Scale loads of hardwood logs can add considerable weight to an entire consist so perhaps lighter weight softwood branches will suit better. The bark of some will fall off when the wood dries so test a few out before cutting down an entire forest of logs. :nod:
When you cut them make sure the thick end of some of the logs have a facing notch cut with splintery hinge as tree fellers do rather than a straight through cut. This will look more authentic.

If you want fake, light weight large logs you could paint up some of those swimming pool floaty foam noodle things being about 70mm thick. Only a few $ for about a 1.8 mtr length.
Combined with carving, inscribing and dry brushing, a variety of bark like texturing can be achieved.

Last edited:
trammayo

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
If you have a lot of log cars then maybe consider plastic ones. They are a lot lighter and can be made to look quite realistic (the mouding is but the colour is just brown) - I just give the ends a dab of colour and run a brush over the bark. Bruder, and Siku, make them in 1/16 or 1/32nd. As trees come in different sizes the plastic ones are whatever you might be logging!

But I do use real did grow sometimes .......

ready-to-roll-_4_-jpg.247362

Last edited:
S

Steven C.

Registered
9 Jan 2019
Port Alberni, BC
YES Sir, that is what I was looking for. Are the ones in the pic plastic?
Where did you get them
Regards The Eagles Nest

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
They don't just grow on trees, you know.
Hang on, yes they do! :wasntme:

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Where did you get them
Regards The Eagles Nest
I have used Elder Tree Cuttings and also Conifer. Both may work out heavier than Plastic but look oh so much more realistic. Look for some one locally doing some Hedge or Tree Trimming and ask for some of the cuttings that appear to be the right size if you do not have any suitable Trees yourself. And yes those in the Pic are certainly the real thing.

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
I think they are the real deal Steven.
Perhaps you could try the model building suppliers to see if they have molded logs.
The Bachmann Big Hauler ones are toy like.

GAP

GAP

G Scale trains, Lawn Bowls.
14 Jun 2011
Bomaderry, New South Wales, Australia
I understand that G scale is the closest scale to my 1/24 scale.
I am just starting to build trucks. and what I need to do is fill my logging trailer with logs.
Where might I find logs that would look very realistic model
Regards from The Eagles Nest
I use the trunk of a plant called Cordyline for my logs.
They are a fast growing tall plant with a log like trunk, if you cut them and leave them to dry for a few months you end up with a log that has good bark texture but weights less than balsa wood for a similar size piece.
The good thing about them is that the top that is cut off readily strikes and anew plant is available for more log harvesting down the track.
variety is sometimes sold as""Chinese Happy Plant as well.

113841_6216cc10e5b66670a8f09d88c56e4e0a.jpg

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
The Bachmann logs aren't bad - sometimes sold on ebay.

Beware two lengths - they made plastic logs for both 20ft and 30 ft wagons.

For the real stuff, Holly is quite good and straight :nod::nod::nod:

The Devonian

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
I use the trunk of a plant called Cordyline for my logs.
They are a fast growing tall plant with a log like trunk, if you cut them and leave them to dry for a few months you end up with a log that has good bark texture but weights less than balsa wood for a similar size piece.
The good thing about them is that the top that is cut off readily strikes and anew plant is available for more log harvesting down the track.
variety is sometimes sold as""Chinese Happy Plant as well.

View attachment 247364
Cordyline is freely available in the South West - often known s Torbay Palms.

The Devonian

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Soft woods, where used as scenic lineside items do attract insects, so harder woods are preferably and last longer. Annual pruning (if you have trees) can supply replacements if needed. A friendly neighbour might provide some if you have no trees.
Small chopped logs were a feature on those lines in the USA that used wood burning locos, such as those in Colorado and New Mexico. Small lineside stacks can be seen in old photographs.
The Bachman tender, which has 'plastic' logs really spoils the model. I replaced mine with 'small logs' made out of cherry wood; an immediate improvement to the models appearance.

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Those Bruder logs look similar to the Bachmann logs but with different bark pattern.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Soft woods, where used as scenic lineside items do attract insects, so harder woods are preferably and last longer. Annual pruning (if you have trees) can supply replacements if needed. A friendly neighbour might provide some if you have no trees.
Small chopped logs were a feature on those lines in the USA that used wood burning locos, such as those in Colorado and New Mexico. Small lineside stacks can be seen in old photographs.
The Bachman tender, which has 'plastic' logs really spoils the model. I replaced mine with 'small logs' made out of cherry wood; an immediate improvement to the models appearance.
Dunk 'em in a timber preservative - last for ever >:)>:)>:)

trammayo

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Where did you get them
Regards The Eagles Nest
As mentioned by others - they are real!

David1226

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
I happen to know that several Forum members have branched out and formed a splinter group.

David

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
I remember that at one annual show I went to with a layout I had real wood (prunings from skimmia) as a load. The first question a youngster asked was, "Are the logs real wood?", to which the answer was, "Yes". As soon as his mates appeared, he pointed at the truck and shouted, "Hey, the logs are real wood!". His mates were equally excited by this news.