Live steam shay advice.

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hello can I ask here please do live steam shays come for sale from time to time please??

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I found this one but it is a bit expensive.
and this slightly cheaper.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Aren't Roundhouse making one?

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry my mistake, Accucraft make them, but not Roundhouse, can we blame the remnants of the New Year booze?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry my mistake, Accucraft make them, but not Roundhouse, can we blame the remnants of the New Year booze?
Though I wonder if they will get round to one, your message here may just be the inspiration they are looking for.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
live steam shays
The new Accucraft 13T shay is a beauty. There are 2 or 3 threads on Mylargescale.com (US site, also known as MyLiveSteam) including one on building the kit version. Plus there is Terry on Youtube waxing poetic about his new 13T shay, and showing you how to install r/c and a headlight.

As already mentioned, Accucraft and Aster have produced other versions in the past, including a 2-cylinder Mich-Cal #2, plus a 3-cylinder, and an Aster 3 truck version. The Mich-Cal seems to pop up for sale quite often on eBay, etc. The Aster is a bit sophisticated and might intimidate a new user. Some very low volume locos were made, such as the Mike Chaney Shay, but they seldom come up for sale.

If you want a geared loco, there are others, like the Regner Heisler and Aster (+Accucraft?) Climax.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I have to admit my preference is for my Accucraft Climax. Can pick up its skirts and do a bit of speed, but still has the good adhesion and low down "tourque" of a Shay.

I have seen the new Accucraft 2 cylinder 13 ton running. I was present when it was being tested for a review published in the current edition of the 16 mm NGM Association's quarterly house magazine, 16 mm Today. It could haul quite a heavy consist, on a line with a 1 in 50 gradient. Just chugged along at a steady speed with, all Accucraft, 3 loaded logging disconnects, a short caboose and a couple of loaded short flat cars. Uphill, on the flat or downhill the speed did not vary. Impressive. Max

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Have to say I also find Shay’s irresistible. Over the years I have had 3, 2 electric jobs a Bachman G scale one, an HO one make forgotten and a Merlin Loco Works live steam one. All have been subsequently sold. But the new Acccy one is very tempting but totally out of place for my German based line. As I already have 7 live steam locomotives that hardly get used one year to the next except one or two of the Roundhouse ones at Xmas day, do I really need another live steam shelf queen?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Have to say I also find Shay’s irresistible. Over the years I have had 3, 2 electric jobs a Bachman G scale one, an HO one make forgotten and a Merlin Loco Works live steam one. All have been subsequently sold. But the new Acccy one is very tempting but totally out of place for my German based line. As I already have 7 live steam locomotives that hardly get used one year to the next except one or two of the Roundhouse ones at Xmas day, do I really need another live steam shelf queen?
Yes, to keep the others company. Besides, your tastes might change again

Reactions: 1 user

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
The new Accucraft Shay is the only one that can be regauged to 32mm, something to consider for those in the UK were 32mm lines are more common than 45mm like over here in the USA. All of them run well, but the 3 cylinder models go thru boiler water like a drunken sod. So goodall valve is very important on them. The Mich Cal deuce is quite a sweet runner, my best friend has one. I have also gotten to see the Mike Chaney built Catatonk Loco Works 24T Shay run. It has one nice feature which is proper full Stephenson valve gear. The Aster 2 and 3 truck, 3 cylinder Shays also have proper Stephenson valve gear. That is one aspect that Accucraft have failed to deliver on thus far on their Shay models. But all run good.

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
The new Accucraft Shay is the only one that can be regauged to 32mm, something to consider for those in the UK were 32mm lines are more common than 45mm like over here in the USA. All of them run well, but the 3 cylinder models go thru boiler water like a drunken sod. So goodall valve is very important on them. The Mich Cal deuce is quite a sweet runner, my best friend has one. I have also gotten to see the Mike Chaney built Catatonk Loco Works 24T Shay run. It has one nice feature which is proper full Stephenson valve gear. The Aster 2 and 3 truck, 3 cylinder Shays also have proper Stephenson valve gear. That is one aspect that Accucraft have failed to deliver on thus far on their Shay models. But all run good.
Hello thankyou for the info ,I agree I think the accucraft is a true replica,,I missed out on one last year,il just have to be patient and find a preowned one .

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
,I missed out on one last year,
I am confused.
something to look out for in the future,
The latest 13T Shay is now in the hands of many US owners, and Terry on YouTube has a series of videos about it. Accucraft UK are advertising it, 13 ton Shay | Accucraft UK Ltd so I don't understand the references to pre-loved and pre-owned. I imagine shipments to the UK are imminent, so you can have a nice new one.

Most reviews in the US are positive, and I have seen the one my friend received before Xmas.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have to admit my preference is for my Accucraft Climax. Can pick up its skirts and do a bit of speed, but still has the good adhesion and low down "tourque" of a Shay.

I have seen the new Accucraft 2 cylinder 13 ton running. I was present when it was being tested for a review published in the current edition of the 16 mm NGM Association's quarterly house magazine, 16 mm Today. It could haul quite a heavy consist, on a line with a 1 in 50 gradient. Just chugged along at a steady speed with, all Accucraft, 3 loaded logging disconnects, a short caboose and a couple of loaded short flat cars. Uphill, on the flat or downhill the speed did not vary. Impressive. Max

If you are talking about the live-steamer, remember that Accucraft never has any kind of connection with the Aster three-truck Climax loco, first appearing in 1982 and OOP for around forty years now. Accucraft recently made a short run of Heisler geared locos, and, as mentioned, a new 'mini' T-boilered Shay in a couple of colours, RTR and in kit form.

Last edited:

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
They are uncommon Tac, One of our steam group members has one. I saw it running at our July yearly steam up where all the out of town folks come. Seemed to like to run fast like the Aster one likes to do. Didnt seem to have deep enough gearing. I think the sweetest running of all the Accucraft geared engines is the 2 cylinder Mich Cal Shays. Hopefully the newest 13ton Shay retains those qualities. Those should be available at your local Accucraft dealers now. I think the green one is the nicest looking of the bunch.

Reactions: 1 user

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
'the 3 cylinder models go thru boiler water like a drunken sod. So goodall valve is very important on them.'

I need a top-up of my 3C Shay every 250 feet....... It has the DJB double-sized gas tank - that helps.