David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
LGB have produced a model of a U-Class, pretty much from the start. As a result, they are available, second hand, is a very wide variety styles, liveries, electrical complexity and cost. I have two fairly old versions, although not the oldest, which I have modified in an attempt to anglicise them for my needs.

You can click on the links below to see how I modified them.
Claptowte Railway - Locomotive No1 'Joyce'

dig 220318022.JPG

Claptowte Railway - Locomotive No2 'Kristin'

dig 220318013.JPG

David

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A German Company Regner did one. I think it was nearer to 16mm scale and Andy Rush of Ruschbahn fame had one, ran like a pig and was too big for LGB stock.

Reactions: 1 user

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
Not exactly an accurate representation and out of production for many years, but Beck did one Locomotive of the Month

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
LGB have produced a model of a U-Class, pretty much from the start. As a result, they are available, second hand, is a very wide variety styles, liveries, electrical complexity and cost. I have two fairly old versions, although not the oldest, which I have modified in an attempt to anglicise them for my needs.

You can click on the links below to see how I modified them.
Claptowte Railway - Locomotive No1 'Joyce'

View attachment 301293

Claptowte Railway - Locomotive No2 'Kristin'

View attachment 301294

David
While I have no doubt it's a nice model, when I started in the larger scale I decided any steam locos would be live steam, just a personal choice.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Not exactly an accurate representation and out of production for many years, but Beck did one, the Beck one was quite crude representation, Tom Cooper used to sell them, under his Merlin nme. But their running was nothink like as good as his Merlin built machines once he got away from using Beck parts. Things move on but sadly I do not think a recent better Live Steam U2 is available.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
While I have no doubt it's a nice model, when I started in the larger scale I decided any steam locos would be live steam, just a personal choice.
Apologies, I completely missed the reference to live steam

David

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The last entry for the Regner model was around 2010 -
Has anyone produced a kit or a model for an Austrian U class loco, thanks?
Yes. Regner in Bavaria made one as a kit a number of years ago, only gas-fired. Coal-firing would be VERY problematical due to the fact that there is zero access to a coal-hole.

A few came here - I bleeve Rod Blakeman built one. They were heading in the region of £2750-3000 and had many details like lighting, brakes, whistle usw.

Here's one -

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Yes. Regner in Bavaria made one as a kit a number of years ago, only gas-fired. Coal-firing would be VERY problematical due to the fact that there is zero access to a coal-hole.

A few came here - I bleeve Rod Blakeman built one. They were heading in the region of £2750-3000 and had many details like lighting, brakes, whistle usw.

Here's one -

Yup that was the staggered pathetic running I remember.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag

Here's one -

Thanks, very nice, now to see if I can find one :)

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
If you are serious, then as well as the usual live-steam purveyors, do contact Graham, at Garden Railways Limited - gardenrailways.co.uk
He is my 'go to' for Regner..

PhilP

Good luck with that - the last I saw of a Regner U11 was in a 2011 catalogue as an 'aufslaufmodelle' - 'discontinued model'. Given the odd scale and huge cost for the kit, I'd be amazed if sales here went into double figures.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I know what you mean..
Herr Regner's choice of making things to 30mm track-gauge etc. must have limited demand?

I picked-up a little diesel, at Peterborough. It rivals the little GRS offering, for scale (read glacial) speed.

PhilP

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, you are talking about the Regner Feldbahn models - unique to that company, and like to stay that way in the total absence of anything else.

Regner's choice of 1/22.5 for their live-steam stuff was intended for those fixated on LGB trains, and the 16mm market was never in the mind of the late Herr Regner, as I discovered when I talked to him about it a few years back. 'My home market is big enough for me!' he said. No doubt, but with the Zillertal loco and coaches running around here in Mid-Wales it would have been nice to see one in 16mm scale, in spite of the rather large size by comparison with 'Earless'.

With the likes of Peter Angus be happy to make one for you - at a cost - and Zillertal passenger cars available in kit form from Lineside hut - a 16mm scale Zillertal train is achievable. Say five hundred English flarps for the cars and five thousand for the loco - job done!

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Looking at the May 2022 issue of 16mm today (p21) there is an article on Roundhouse. Lo and behold one of the early pictures dated 1988 or 89 shows a Zillertal build underway. I think this may well have been when Roundhouse were perhaps utilising Beck parts as Tom Cooper did. Yes the RH museum shows that RH fitted their cylinders to 3 Beck types between 1988-90.
Just search for Zillertal using the pull down menu on this site.

Last edited:

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Regner and Wyko have done several of the LGB locos in live steam. From Regner is the Stainz(both black/red and green/red), U class, SEG 104 0-6-6-0 Mallet and the Harz 2-10-2t. Wyco did the Harz 2-6-2t. Good luck finding any of them, all are high end Regner limited editions and quiet hard on the wallet to purchase. I would love to own any of those models in the next few years if anybody is considering selling but not in a big hurry. The Beck 0-6-2, while a bit crude looking, do look good when pulling some colorful LGB coaches thru the garden and those do pop up for sale from time to time(usually the green version) a rare late model with Roundhouse cylinders was offered after RH bought out what was left of Beck. I keep hoping RH will spread their wings and model the Zillertal #2 that is visiting the W&L right now or their Euro 0-8-0 that is almost done with its restoration to operation.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
The Beck 0-6-2, while a bit crude looking, do look good when pulling some colorful LGB coaches thru the garden and those do pop up for sale from time to time(usually the green version) a rare late model with Roundhouse cylinders was offered after RH bought out what was left of Beck. I keep hoping RH will spread their wings and model the Zillertal #2 that is visiting the W&L right now or their Euro 0-8-0 that is almost done with its restoration to operation.

Now that would be interesting. Could the Zillertal #2's presence on the WLLR trigger a decision by RH to evaluate that loco for revision to mdern standards mechanically and aesthetically ? The Lineside Hut 16 mm Zillertal coaches are little wonders of detail (I have built 2). Although I have been informed, by one who should know, they do not represent those at the WLLR. For the time being I will rely on my battery/RC LGB #2.

Looking at Tac's post of the Regner U Class it is interesting to note it has the same non-prototypical wide rear frames like the LGB iterations - all the better to negotiate R1's ? Max

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
It would be a massive quandry for RH which scale to model it in. The world wide buying crowd would want it in LGB scale of 1:22.5 to match all the exhisting rolling stock on the market. Only the UK buyers would push for the 16mm scale. But yet I see many scales mixed on UK garden railways just as they are else where. A smart builder would offer the model in the scale that offers the largest ROI, which would be LGB scale to appeal to the largest buying pool.