Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have eventually gotten around to my Steeple-cab conversion:
Steeplcab.jpg
With the body removed I could see how much room I had for the battery pack and Rx. Using standard AA and AAA for size comparison it was apparent that a Li-Ion 4S pack made fro 14500 would fit in one side, the Rx I had decided on the Revolution Mini Receiver CRE57012S, and the switch and charging point a Micron bespoke item. I also decided that the 4 LED lights would be 2 wire bi-colour (White/Red) LED, and so would use the motor power so the colour would be switched by direction change. Due to the space I also made a conciousness decision not to fit sound, also I think I could get a speaker in the cab roof, and just about room for a sound card with the Rx.
First job is to remove track connections and pick-ups, quite simple, although a 3 pin motor block it was of the newer standard and not a clam shell type:
Steeplcab_03.jpg

Trial fit of the battery, still tight especially with the BMS but it fits:
Steeplcab_05.jpg

The original lighting board were discarded, but the lamp holders retained for the new lighting boards:
Steeplcab_04.jpg

New lighting boards the same size as the original very made from veroboard, and the lamp holders added, then the system was assemble for the initial test:
Steeplcab_06.jpg

Now to pack this all into the body, point to note the wires need to be position so that they sit in the chassis well, otherwise they will prevent the body and chassis mating properly, or the cab will not sit correctly in position and the doors will foul:
steeplcab_09-jpg.296965

I did have problems fitting the charging module, and had to move it further inside so as the doors would open and close, so a quick check to ensure I can fit my charging lead:
Steeplcab_10.jpg

A (very shaky) video of the test run:

If you would like some more slightly in depth details please look at my blog on this conversion:

Attachments

• Steeplcab_09.jpg
    Steeplcab_09.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have a couple of those beasties lurking around and never would have thought what you have done possible. But with Lion pack and a small Deltang why not. Just a thought if the lack of overhead offends you, why not take the pan off? After all it is battery powered and a few full sized beasties like that were battery powered.

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
love this and something i want to do, also love that river running under the bridge ! delightful.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
They are attractive little locos, and with such a short wheelbase will obviously benefit from battery R/C.

I sit and look at all of these neat installations ............................. and then make sure that I never take the top off any of mine :devil::devil:

One tinsy-winsy observation - pants up!

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
It's a strangely attractive looking machine and goes well with the coaches.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
They are attractive little locos, and with such a short wheelbase will obviously benefit from battery R/C.

I sit and look at all of these neat installations ............................. and then make sure that I never take the top off any of mine :devil::devil:

One tinsy-winsy observation - pants up!
If you mean Pans up, then I will have to disappoint, don't quite clear my tunnel.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
A very neat conversion, Jim. Those Revolution Rx units look quite compact. I think I could just hear the sound above the stream. Or were my ears deceiving me?

Rik

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
If you mean Pans up, then I will have to disappoint, don't quite clear my tunnel.
You'll have to compromise as I am sure they do in real life by having them partly up in the tunnel.

Now there's a possibly new CV value for DCC - pans part way down before they hit the tunnel entrance.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
You'll have to compromise as I am sure they do in real life by having them partly up in the tunnel.

Now there's a possibly new CV value for DCC - pans part way down before they hit the tunnel entrance.
With my battery conversion, the pans on this are purely manual.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
With my battery conversion, the pans on this are purely manual.
Manual fishing twine then.

I believe somebody arranged a steel guide for pantographs to dip through tunnels

Burt then on the other hand, rule 8 :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock: