LGB smoke generator removal

dragonanvil

Registered
14 Jun 2019
Los Angeles
Best answers
Hello everyone, I was wondering about a disconnection of the smoke unit in my 2078 Corpet Louvet I recently picked up. It is equipped with a multi position switch on the firebox but only operates the motor in one position. I am worried about it melting away without using any fluid in it as it seems on all the time. Thanks

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Easy enough to disconnect but getting inside can be a bit of a task. Get hold of the breakdown diagram to show you how to get in. Someone will link to the drawing for you.

dragonanvil

Registered
14 Jun 2019
Los Angeles
Best answers
Thanks, I was told LGB didn’t have an on/off in some models.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, I was told LGB didn’t have an on/off in some models.
I think it fair to say that the worst case scenario of having the smoke unit on without fluid is that the element within it eventually burns out. No damage to the rest of the loco and if you don't use the smoke unit anyway no problem.
Afterthought,: as it's a Corpet it may be possible to damage the typical French chimney cover fitted to some versions I think the early versions had these covers but no smoke units as standard.

Last edited:

dragonanvil

Registered
14 Jun 2019
Los Angeles
Best answers
Yes, I wouild advise caution, often any plastic around the smoke unit runs the risk of softening and distorting in general.

It's a valid concern.

Greg
I have both the 2078 and 2079, the 2079 is a non smoke equipped and both have covers. The cover over the chimney is a concern as it could be damaged by the heat, I decided to just go with keeping smoke fluid in the unit to avoid any meltdown. Thanks for all the advice.