LGB Shuttle Unit

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I recently brought a S/H LGB Buffer Stop Shuttle Unit, from a shop in North Norfolk.

No box, so no destructions either of course!

Now I've seen one of these used in the window display of my local Model Shop, but I've noticed that there are diode breaks before the end of the track.

My question to you out there in GSC land, is, does one actually need these diode track breaks, as I assume this device works on a timer. The reason I ask is that I'm considering installing this unit on my 'out and back' layout, so that sometimes I can run a train back and forth, without my intervention.

Guys, it's over to you....

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
If I remember rightly the old version has diode breaks and the loco comes to an abrupt stop and equally abrupt reversal after the preset time.
I have the newer version where there are breaks but these are the electronically controlled deceleration and acceleration points.
If it's the newer version (electronic board with 2 tiny switches and 2 tiny dials) then I can scan & send you destructions.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
pugwash said:
If I remember rightly the old version has diode breaks and the loco comes to an abrupt stop and equally abrupt reversal after the preset time.
I have the newer version where there are breaks but these are the electronically controlled deceleration and acceleration points.
If it's the newer version (electronic board with 2 tiny switches and 2 tiny dials) then I can scan & send you destructions.

Yes please Puggy?

PM sent....

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Okay, activate scanners Mr Spock :rofl:
Give me 10-15 minutes Gizzy. :clap:
Incidentally I removed the board from the buffer and put it in the shed with the controllers and switches (and all the other junk) because different locos run at different speeds so the accelrate/decelerate times have to be altered and I also put it on a switch so I can switch to manual or off as needs be. Turned out to be one of the few good ideas I have had. :confused:

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
If you're looking for the instructions for the 10340 unit (the modern one), they're here:
http://www.champex-linden.de/lgb_produktdatenbank/

There are two possible modes with the newer unit. Simple: with sudden stop and reverse and "prototype" with adjustable braking. "Prototype" mode doesn't need the diodes, but does still need two rail breaks, plus additional wiring compared to "simple" mode.

An alternative for "simple" mode is Gaugemaster's SS-1LGB unit which comes with diodes. It doesn't include insulated railjoints or buffer stop, but it costs from £28.35 (G Scale Direct), compared to £150+ for LGB's offering.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
If you're looking for the instructions for the 10340 unit (the modern one), they're here:
http://www.champex-linden.de/lgb_produktdatenbank/

There are two possible modes with the newer unit. Simple: with sudden stop and reverse and "prototype" with adjustable braking. "Prototype" mode doesn't need the diodes, but does still need two rail breaks, plus additional wiring compared to "simple" mode.
Thanks Tigger! Just what I needed....

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Even the new LGB version comes with diodes, you have to remove them for proto acceleration/deceleration. LGB (in their booklet) point out that you can put in a diode controlled section after the 'station' if you are worried about your stock banging into the end or running off the end of the line (mine bang into the end as the locos warm up, another good reason to have the control panel where you can get to it)