LGB Saxon 1K

pghewett

Registered
7 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I took the opportunity of fine weather and completion of the annual spring clean to try out my new Saxon 1K. On perfectly clean track, it runs smoothly and is a good hauler but the slightest dirt and it becomes jerky. Everything else runs entirely satisfactorily over the same stretch. The IK's wheels are perfectly clean and all the contacts and skates seem to be properly sprung and in contact with the track/wheel backs. I wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences and may have an explanation/ suggestion for improvement (eg coating all collecting surfaces in graphite). Perhaps it's just the very short wheelbase. [I am reluctant to send it back to the suppliers not least because I know they will test it on a perfectly clean indoor stretch of track and find nothing wrong].

Graham H

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Are the wheel pickups and skates on each side all electrically connected?
I've not seen inside a 1K but know from experience that it only takes a slight displacement of a contact strip/bar inside the motor block to cause intermittent connection and therefore current collection on many other LGB locos.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Just had the same problem with my GE44 11 . Removed the bogie bottoms and found the metal strips that connect the pick ups weren't making contact. The other bogie was alright

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I agree with the above advice. My IK run perfectly well. Atleat as good as the Spreewald which is very similar at rail level. It is pretty much a standard LGB chassis in answer to Neils query above.

pghewett

Registered
7 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you everybody for the advice. Just need to pluck up the courage to take a screwdriver to it now...

Graham H