Help required with LGB 20841 Digital (Saxon IV K)

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Has the original poster looked at the revision of the firmware to see if both 55021's are identical? There are at least 3 different versions of this decoder and can relate to bemf control as well as speed step limitations.

Distrackted

Registered
16 Apr 2017
Swansea, UKE
Best answers
Country flag
Has the original poster looked at the revision of the firmware to see if both 55021's are identical? There are at least 3 different versions of this decoder and can relate to bemf control as well as speed step limitations.
The decoders appear to be identical.

Attachments

• 20220806_201901.jpg
    20220806_201901.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 1

Distrackted

Registered
16 Apr 2017
Swansea, UKE
Best answers
Country flag
The decoders appear to be identical.
So I may have solved the problem. The motor for the faster (rear) truck had a resistance of 3.2 ohms. The motor for the other truck was closer to 4 ohms. I had a spare motor that measured about 3.8 ohms, so I replicated the motor in the rear truck with that one. The two trucks are closely matched for speed now I don't know if measuring the resistance is a thing or not for selecting matching motors, but it seemed to work in this case.

Distrackted

Registered
16 Apr 2017
Swansea, UKE
Best answers
Country flag
So I may have solved the problem. The motor for the faster (rear) truck had a resistance of 3.2 ohms. The motor for the other truck was closer to 4 ohms. I had a spare motor that measured about 3.8 ohms, so I replicated the motor in the rear truck with that one. The two trucks are closely matched for speed now I don't know if measuring the resistance is a thing or not for selecting matching motors, but it seemed to work in this case.
Thanks to everybody for all the helpful input!

Distrackted

Registered
16 Apr 2017
Swansea, UKE
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the great suggestion. I have two new motors on order, but getting the tachometer seems like a good idea to make sure motors are a matched pair. Thanks for the link. Cheers!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the great suggestion. I have two new motors on order, but getting the tachometer seems like a good idea to make sure motors are a matched pair. Thanks for the link. Cheers!
The 2 new ones should be fine. One of the old ones likely to be perfect as well so your tachometer should prove which one. Would be handy to have in stock if a single motored loco goes funny. The faulty one could be repaired, there have been great threads in here how to do it. Well worth hunting out or if someone can provide the link?