LGB R3 v PIKO R3 (The differences)

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I thought that I would do a short thread showing the differences between LGB and PIKO R3 curves.

A while ago, Zerogee mentioned to me that PIKO 35213 R3 are a smaller radius (921.54 mm or 36.3 inch) than LGB 16000 R3 (1243 mm or 49 inch), and that they will work nicely together should anyone want double track.

Intrigued, I decided I would check this for myself. The picture shows PIKO inside LGB.

thumbnail_20230221_103105.jpg

Points to note that PIKO are 30 deg, so 12 to a circle and LGB are 22.5 deg so 16 to a circle.

Track centre to track centre is 321.5 mm or 12.5 inch.....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I also looked at how the PIKO R3 looks compared to LGB R1 and R2.

I have a double tracked oval/ return loop at the end of my layout, so I placed the PIKO R3 next to this for comparison.

thumbnail_20230221_103604.jpg

Although this difference of radii can be confusing, it can also be used to our advantage especially for someone like me who has a restricted space to place curves.

I don't have the space for LGB R3 curves, but I might be able to find room for a double track curve using LGB R2 and PIKO R3 in the future.

So for me, this would be a good compromise....

Last edited:

Eeyore.Boater

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Stafford
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I also looked at how the PIKO R3 looks compared to LGB R1 and R2.

I have a double tracked oval/ return loop at the end of my layout, so I placed the PIKO R3 next to this for comparison.

View attachment 310294

Although this difference can be confusing, it can also be used to our advantage especially for someone like me who has a restricted space to place curves.

I don't have the space for LGB R3 curves, but I might be able to find room for double track curve using LGB R2 and PIKO R3 in the future.

So for me, this would be a good compromise....
What was the centre to centre measurement between LGB r2 and Piko r3 ? I have it written down somewhere safe! Seem to recall it was tighter than LGB r1 to LGB r2.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
thanks i was unaware of this very useful option.

How do the piko r3 fit with lgb points?

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
thanks i was unaware of this very useful option.

How do the piko r3 fit with lgb points?
I've not tried this yet Steve, but as PIKO R3 are 30 deg, they can be used with LGB R1 points without any short 7.5 deg curves.

I believe PIKO points have this extra curved piece of track to work with the geometry of both track systems....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
What was the centre to centre measurement between LGB r2 and Piko r3 ? I have it written down somewhere safe! Seem to recall it was tighter than LGB r1 to LGB r2.
R2 is 823 mm or 32.4 inch, so I calculate 98.5 mm or 4 inch, which does seem tight....

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have an "R" chart for track:

It's a mess...

Greg

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I may need a LH point, equivalent to the non-existent LGB R2. I want to add a turnout from a curve of LGB R2 track. I gather, reading the above, I have a choice between PIKO and Trainline 45.

If I go with Trainline 45 is there a supplier in the UK? And if not do the two German suppliers (Modell-land and Trainline themselves) ship to the UK?

Can't see Grossbritannien on the Modell-land website but no specofic exclusion like some. Trainline have a"none of the above" Worldwide category. Flying to Germany although I love to visit, to buy a single item seems like overkill.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I may need a LH point, equivalent to the non-existent LGB R2. I want to add a turnout from a curve of LGB R2 track. I gather, reading the above, I have a choice between PIKO and Trainline 45.

If I go with Trainline 45 is there a supplier in the UK? And if not do the two German suppliers (Modell-land and Trainline themselves) ship to the UK?

Can't see Grossbritannien on the Modell-land website but no specofic exclusion like some. Trainline have a"none of the above" Worldwide category. Flying to Germany although I love to visit, to buy a single item seems like overkill.
I brought my Trainline R2 points from Glendale before they retired.

I may have a left hander I no longer require. It will be 22.5 deg arc angle, so you may need to cut a short piece of 7.5 deg to match the 30 deg R2 curves.

It's raining atm, so I'll check tomorrow and send you a PM if I have one....

Last edited:

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
If you want actual LGB R2 radius then PIKO R3 is too big. Betram Heyn does an equivalent to an LGB R2 in kit form or assembled, and he does ship to UK. It's 22.5 degree but he sells a small 7.5 degree bend to make it up to 30 degree to match LGB R2 geometry.

Last edited:

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Can't see Grossbritannien on the Modell-land website but no specofic exclusion like some

Someone on the forum mentioned that Modell-land had stopped supplying the UK and (in September 2021) I queried with them why there was still a Great Britain postage rate displayed. Their answer was . . .

1678814162644.png

A follow-up enquiry as to WHY elicited only . . .

1678814218284.png

Of course, if you can persuade them to change their mind, many of us would be pleased to hear about it. On the other hand, if anyone is going to visit them in person, please let us know in advance, so we can ask you to pick up a few 'bits and bobs' for us too!

Cheers

David

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you David. I was afraid of that (re Modell-land).

Also thank you Dave. Given the 100% premium for Heyn assembled, have you had experience of the kit option? I notice the instructions are German only but that's a minor problem thanks to Google translate.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I've not assembled a Heyn point but I have done a couple of crossovers.

From what I remember, they were reasonably easy to do with the diagram and then doing a dry run....

thumbnail_20221014_094831.jpg

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
<Drift>-ish
It would be very nice if Bertram could be persuaded to come to a show in the UK again...

However, post Brexit, I fear this will never happen?
:cry:

PhilP

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The ideal match to R2 is an Aristo "wide radius" switch, curved throughout and 5' radius just like LGB R2

Last edited:

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
<Drift>-ish
It would be very nice if Bertram could be persuaded to come to a show in the UK again...

However, post Brexit, I fear this will never happen?
:cry:

PhilP
He came to Llanfair before Covid and Brexit and had a holiday in Wales too.

He did bring some useful stuff which was nice to see for real, rather than on-line....

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
The ideal match to R2 is an Aristo "wide radius" switch, curved throughout and 5' radius just like LGB R2

I might be mistaken, but Aristo X-wide is 5' radius and LGB R2 is 5' diameter (or metric approximation), no?

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you David. I was afraid of that (re Modell-land).

Also thank you Dave. Given the 100% premium for Heyn assembled, have you had experience of the kit option? I notice the instructions are German only but that's a minor problem thanks to Google translate.
There's a review of the kit by me on here. It's a bit fiddly but straightforward.
EDIT
Here:

Last edited: