dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
In my quest to add more Stops to my indoor part of the line I decided to enhance these 2 LGB ones. I could see an odd difference in the Stops,  but it was only when I looked underneath that I realised that one was a 1030 and the other a 1031. I wonder what the significance of this is, oh well one day my curtiosity will get the better of me and I will attack my Compendium or Catalogue Collection  to find the answer. In the meantime here is a start picture of the two Stops. Not very interesting I know but one has to start somewhere.

In the meantime they were both sprayed with Halfords Rattle Undercoat Grey to give me a key for the Acrylic Colours that I will be using for weathering and to glue on the Ballast.
JonD

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 49

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
So I finally finished the two LGB Stops yesterday and planted them on the line. Only 2 more to go in that Station thinks I. Yup that was the count, only to find that I had another LGB Stop in place. Hells teeth I could have modified all 3 for pretty much the same effort in time.

Oh well, so what I did with the other two after I Rattled them in undercoat. Left them for the night in the Airing Cupboard, then I glued a few bits of Scenic Mat on to represent Moss. Ballast recovered from the Ruschbahn was also glued on to hide the edges and hide the origin vastly over scale topping that these LGB Stops have. Weathered them down with Acrylics, here I used just White and Black let down with a lot of water, but I used a stronger wash of Back to bring out the relief of the sleepers. Bit of Tamiya Hull Red at Full Strength to bring out rusty metal work. Final touch is the Stop Board, printed onto Self Adhesive Paper, stuck to a square of Plasticard and then glued to some BBQ Skewer. finally planted into holes on the cross beam.

I think that the Pictures will show all my efforts much better than I can describe them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 56

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks guys, hope that inspires others to have a go. JonD

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice….detaling and paint really transforms them
great minds……

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice….detaling and paint really transforms them
great minds……
Been quite a while since those pics were taken the one on the left been moved elsewhere as I needed just a little extra space to fit in a Piko 2-10-2 and my Playmobile Railcar conversion. Thus the new revised stop. Also ballasting and other scenic works have taken place over the years, probably shown elswhere in here.
IMG_7239.jpeg

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nice work JD!

I find just painting the coal black and the wood sleepers a dirty brown really enhances the look of the LGB buffer stop and gets rid of the plastic look....

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Nice work JD!

I find just painting the coal black and the wood sleepers a dirty brown really enhances the look of the LGB buffer stop and gets rid of the plastic look....
Coal??? surely track ballast.

David

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Coal??? surely track ballast.

David
I had black paint to hand at the time? It looks okay though, if not prototypical.

But maybe I'll repaint mine at some point....

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I had black paint to hand at the time? It looks okay though, if not prototypical.

But maybe I'll repaint mine at some point....
Quite often old ballast would be used for such jobs so a darker colour not to be sniffed at, specially if the line did not have retention tanks fitted to the coach loos.

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
So I finally finished the two LGB Stops yesterday and planted them on the line. Only 2 more to go in that Station thinks I. Yup that was the count, only to find that I had another LGB Stop in place. Hells teeth I could have modified all 3 for pretty much the same effort in time.

Oh well, so what I did with the other two after I Rattled them in undercoat. Left them for the night in the Airing Cupboard, then I glued a few bits of Scenic Mat on to represent Moss. Ballast recovered from the Ruschbahn was also glued on to hide the edges and hide the origin vastly over scale topping that these LGB Stops have. Weathered them down with Acrylics, here I used just White and Black let down with a lot of water, but I used a stronger wash of Back to bring out the relief of the sleepers. Bit of Tamiya Hull Red at Full Strength to bring out rusty metal work. Final touch is the Stop Board, printed onto Self Adhesive Paper, stuck to a square of Plasticard and then glued to some BBQ Skewer. finally planted into holes on the cross beam.

I think that the Pictures will show all my efforts much better than I can describe them.
The moss is a nice touch. What is the reason that the vertical posts are grey? I would have imagined them to be brown with a mid-tone similar in color to the LGB plastic, though I'm not too familiar with real world examples.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The moss is a nice touch. What is the reason that the vertical posts are grey? I would have imagined them to be brown with a mid-tone similar in color to the LGB plastic, though I'm not too familiar with real world examples.
They are imagined to be concrete, a not uncommon thing found all over in the Former East Germany on which my line is based circa February 1981.