LGB Barmer coach mod

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
I always considered the length of this coach compromised by the rubber rule (missing a set of windows?). The car seemed too short for truck mounting. Needing a few spare 'DR' bogies, I modified a couple of spare starter set coach frames to make a two-axle underframe. I added trussrods and will add an airtank when the underframe is painted.

1067bfef97ea45a4adceb4b2fe6d6d73.jpg

pghewett

Registered
7 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
This looks good -how well does that longish wheelbase take the curves? And how did you manage to stiffen the join of the two frames?

BTW, the LGB coach is in fact a protoypical length with the right number of windows. The following link has the details with a picture: http://www.buntbahn.de/modellbau/printview.php?t GH

pghewett

Registered
7 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
PS If you find the link as quoted fails, which it seems to do regularly, try googling fahrzeug des Ronsdorf-Muegstener eisenbahn and you will see a site that refers to the DR version of the LGB model and reviews it with usual German thoroughness

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
The frames were joined using reinforcing plates either side of the join and then 5 minute Araldite was used the fill the void left. I run ten foot diameter curves and have made several extended frame two axle cars.

Link to Barmer coach. I am suprised that LGB actually made a car true to prototype.

http://www.buntbahn.de/modellbau/printview.php?t=1682&start=0

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
This shows the basic frame.

af00cfdae552454481fcec8466711842.jpg

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting modification and it looks very well done! I think the axles are perhaps a little too close to the ends, but that's just my opinion. I wondered about getting one of these for modifying, but was alway put off by the moulded curtains on the glazing! Are you planning on any other modifications to it?

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
James,
yes, the axles are too close to the ends of the coach but then axle location is decided for when using the stock starter set coach frames. Ideally, also the roof overhang at each end should be shortened. I had around a dozen or more of these but have sold most of them off except for a few #3060B cars that I am repainting in green 'DR' finish as per recent LGB/Marklin production (one may be painted brown just to be different). I also modded one with a guards/baggage compartment. See a recent posting for shorty 'DR' combine.

The car was really only built so that I could rob the trucks for another project. As with many of my 'creations' I juggled spare LGB parts around to get something different.