LGB 70255 Digital Starter Set Loco Parallel Compatibility

Big Trak

Registered
22 May 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone know if the black and yellow loco’s in the LGB 70255 / 72255 Digital Starter Set are compatible with parallel digital controllers?

The 70255 set was supplied with a Serial central station and controller but I think I’m going to have to upgrade to a Parallel system in the near future.

BA41FA5C-05E6-452A-ACE7-5CDCE91FE543.jpeg

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I have the yellow diesel, and it seems to be fine on a parallel system. However, it only has two function, zero for directional headlights, and ‘one’ for the alternating flashing lights on the roof.

I seem to remember a club member having the steamer, and not having problems with the directional lights.

Malcolm

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone know if the black and yellow loco’s in the LGB 70255 / 72255 Digital Starter Set are compatible with parallel digital controllers?

The 70255 set was supplied with a Serial central station and controller but I think I’m going to have to upgrade to a Parallel system in the near future.

View attachment 315783
Both locos are fitted with LGB "onboard" decoders, suitable for serial & parallel control.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I used to have one of these, and it worked fine on my MTS II with Parallel commands.

I sold it on to raise funds for the similar looking LGB 21900 DUO loco, which I use for shunting on my portable Hardyard layout. This one has sounds and MTS controlled couplers.

All the functions work with both the MTS II that I still use with Hardyard, and the Massoth 1200Z I use for the garden line....

20230620_153611.jpg

Big Trak

Registered
22 May 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the replies! I’ve just noticed that my set is the LGB 78255 that has an LGB 55005 MTS 2 Central Station. The Central Station has V1.20 underneath it but it’s probably still the Serial version of the Central Station.

BB35EE6E-22A9-487E-89AD-0E3DB11E268C.jpeg

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
All newly MTS locos added to the parallel stations default to serial on first use. You need to hit F and then 9 to activate parallel operation. Doing this a second time reverts you back to serial. Also this needs to be done after changing a loco's address!!!! Non LGB engines can have CV29 changed to allow serial operation, Zimo decoders can do this.

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
All newly MTS locos added to the parallel stations default to serial on first use. You need to hit F and then 9 to activate parallel operation. Doing this a second time reverts you back to serial. Also this needs to be done after changing a loco's address!!!! Non LGB engines can have CV29 changed to allow serial operation, Zimo decoders can do this.
Well I did not know about the F9 switching between serial and parallel……now I know why some of my locos F functions scroll through in serial Mode.
kev

Big Trak

Registered
22 May 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I did not know about the F9 switching between serial and parallel……now I know why some of my locos F functions scroll through in serial Mode.

Got an email from Massoth:

“only from V2.0 onwards is the control panel capable of running parallel.”

Unfortunately, the old MTS Serial components cannot be upgraded to Parallel anymore as the parts are no longer available, though I did ask what the Serial to Parallel upgrade involved:

“the data transfer has been changed (faster transmission). Hardware has not been changed in either case. The brain is all in the headquarters.”