LGB 69576 SOUND TENDER - NEWEST VERSION

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
For Forum Electrical Engineers - What are the devices that are wired to the tender's two motor terminals, and what's their purpose?

On the two newest versions of the LGB Sound Tenders, there are no options on the board for adjusting the starting/operating voltage to the motor like the older LGB 69572 Sound Tenders.

Thanks!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
A picture would help, but I would guess inductors (if in series) or capacitors, if connected to the motor case.

There used to be a board which delayed the motor starting, so you could wind the voltage (DC) up enough to start the electronics (sounds) before the model started moving.
Without this (on DC) the loco can be several feet down the track, before the sounds are active.

PhilP

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
For Forum Electrical Engineers - What are the devices that are wired to the tender's two motor terminals, and what's their purpose?

On the two newest versions of the LGB Sound Tenders, there are no options on the board for adjusting the starting/operating voltage to the motor like the older LGB 69572 Sound Tenders.

Thanks!
Sorry, I meant to post the photo. Another member replied to me that he thinks they are noise suppression chokes or coils.
LGB 69576 Newest Sound Tender-2.jpg

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Yes they are like these I discovered in my LGB E10.
20230113_141244.jpg

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
clearly chokes... one type is a "ferrite bead" type, where very few turns (or a single wire straight through) a piece of ferrite... normally only affects high frequency noise/hash (from motor brushes making and breaking circuit on commutator)

The other type is higher inductance, so probably blocking lower frequencies, showing 220 microhenries, maybe blocking lower freq stuff like DCC signal, etc.