Lgb 55027 installation into Electric RHB GE4/4 23430

scook

Registered
24 Oct 2009
leicester, 3cag
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a LGB 23430 with working pantographs, I would like to convert this loco to digital as i have a spare lgb 55027, how would i get the pantograophs to work? has anyone done this?

Thanks
Sam

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Pretty sure that you can operate the pantographs using function keys after the conversion. If you’ve got the user manual it should cover this. If you don’t have it the Trainli.com site probably has a downloadable copy

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Are the pans on servos and does the 55027 do servos?

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I believe this is a 3-pin motor block pre-digital era loco. If that is indeed the case, this may be of some help getting the pantographs working with digital control: Digitization of 2×430 for locomotives without interface – Massoth Elektronik GmbH This is what I did for my LGB 2043 2143 Thusis Ge 4/4 II loco.

Also, I think this loco has older, motor driven pantographs that use microswitches to limit movement. It does not have servo motors. What happened at your workbench today?

This may be useful to you too: https://www.onlytrains.com/manuals/23430-1.pdf

Edited to correct LGB item number and add link to exploded diagrams

Last edited:

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
See edit to my previous post. Also, the LGB Service exploded diagram flyer is ambiguous. One page shows a 4-pin motor block, the next with the wiring shows a 3-pin motor block. This is clearly a transition era loco. Is it factory fitted with a MTS (DCC) interface board and/or 4-pin motor blocks? If it is, that will certainly change your approach to adding a decoder. And, possibly eliminate the need to convert the 3-pin motor blocks.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think we need a couple of internal photos?

PhilP

scook

Registered
24 Oct 2009
leicester, 3cag
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

Thanks for the info, the motor blocks are indeed 4 pin which makes things easier, and the pantos are operated by motors not servos, im inclined to install a massoth xls as id like sound as well rather than using the lgb decoder plus a sound unit of some form,

Thanks
Sam