LGB 55016 Parallel Controller Throttle Problem

Big Trak

Registered
22 May 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve just been looking through a job lot of LGB accessories I bought years ago and found an LGB 55016 parallel controller that has a temperamental throttle control.

Locomotives refuse to move when the throttle is turned a quarter turn then suddenly pick up speed or have a jerky movement. The potentiometer under the control has a little more resistance than the other 2 55016 controllers I have. Could the potentiometer be the problem?

I also received an error code for the first few days that I used it and the Central Station indicated a short circuit but both these problems have stopped now.

Attachments

• 42C4A6AD-DF16-401B-B833-EDCE0601F511.jpeg
    42C4A6AD-DF16-401B-B833-EDCE0601F511.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 0

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
If you 'exercise' the potentiometer by rotating it back and forth several times, does it have less resistance and work better....

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
If it has a mechanical "catch" to it, that is usually not fixable, unless you got a glob of hardened grease which should not have been there in the first place. That coupled with the weird error message makes me think the pot is damaged. If the pot is not completely sealed, perhaps you could open the unit and spray plastic-safe contact cleaner/lube into it.

Greg

Big Trak

Registered
22 May 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
If you 'exercise' the potentiometer by rotating it back and forth several times, does it have less resistance and work better....
It has improved after a few hours of wiggling.

Big Trak

Registered
22 May 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
If it has a mechanical "catch" to it, that is usually not fixable, unless you got a glob of hardened grease which should not have been there in the first place. That coupled with the weird error message makes me think the pot is damaged. If the pot is not completely sealed, perhaps you could open the unit and spray plastic-safe contact cleaner/lube into it.

Greg
I can’t sense anything catching though it does seem to have more resistance than the other controller I have. I can’t see any easy way of opening the potentiometer unless I try cutting it open with a knife.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Get some spray contact cleaner that leaves some protectant residue behind.

Can you get "DeOxit D5" there? you can use the spray and small nozzle to get some inside... it's plastic safe and will evaporate on it's own..

Greg