Aristocraft loco stops after only a few seconds of running

14Justinian7

Registered
26 Aug 2023
Charlotte, NC
Best answers
Country flag
I have an Aristocraft G scale FA-1 loco that finally seems to be working. It is equipped with a Soundtraxx Tsunami 4400 diesel decoder. I am utilizing an NCE 10 Amp Powerhouse system with a handheld Procab controller.

On powerup, the decoder's blue light comes on, indicating track power is received. When I push the throttle forward, the loco will move forward very slowly, and then after about 3-4 seconds, it will stop, and the blue decoder light goes out. This will occur wherever on the test track I place the loco (the test track is an oblong shape).

I currently have the two motors of the loco wired in series, and their combined resistance is 26 ohms (16 ohms for the front motor, and 10 ohms for the rear). On a 16 Volt circuit, this gives an effective current of only 0.6 amps. This may be too low to power the loco, but before I switch to wiring the motors in parallel, I wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions.

By the way, without the decoder, and using an old Aristocraft 5 amp, 5400 controller, the loco moves just fine, so the track itself does not appear to be the problem.

Any thoughts?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The DC resistance of the motors is meaningless, as they do not behave in this way..
Each motor will appear as a short circuit when power is first applied, and it may be causing the decoder to shutdown.

However, wire the motors in parallel, but run the loco on blocks initially. - You can then check both bogies (trucks) are running in the same direction.
You can then try it on the track.

PhilP