LGB 53750 Timer

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Dear All,

Can anyone assist by pointing me towards a circuit diagram of the LGB timer?

I have five in use on my layout to give dwells at the automated loops and I love them dearly.

One has recently failed and I would like to fix it. I have replaced it with a spare to keep things going, but I would still like to get it working again.

In an alien digital age, top quality analogue gear needs to be treasured and shown love and respect!

James

Block Signalling and Automated loops forever!

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Dear All,

I am pleased to say that my dead LGB Timer has risen like Lazarus. Much as I would like to claim the credit I can't really:

I gave the circuit board a look over day, wiggled the adjustable timer track around and powered it up for luck and it worked.

At present I can only deduce that the fault lay in the contact of the slider, and the wiggling cleared it, but time will tell, whether it is really better or will 'sit down' again before too long.

I would still like a diagram though.....

James

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
You sure it wasn't the "Wiggler" that caused the problem ? :happy:

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Resorting back to 'O' level physics, if it is a rheostat then wiggling, or back and forth movement, is a good mend. It certainly worked on my old OO crap stuff.

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Guys,

It is very hard to be precise as to what the fault was. All I can say that suddenly the unit stopped cutting in when it was required to, and trains were not stopping at the station as they had been!. My first thought was that trigger reed had failed, but I soon realised that the reed was fine. The fault lay in the unit itself. It was most definitely dead and could not be triggered directly by shorting the two reed terminals. I could not coax it back to life, despite doing all the normal things that one does.

The unit was then stripped down and the board removed. This was then poured over, prodded and tested. It was still dead. Without a circuit diagram I was unable to go further, and after repeated prodding and poking over several days, the board was put away pending offers of help

When a knowledgeable chum offered to 'take a look' the circuit board was dug out, prodded and poured over again and then tested again, just for the hell of it! That is when It was found to be working again. It is currently back in service, and I am waiting to see how long it lasts!

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Dear All,

A 'Grown Up' who helps me with my electrics has very kindly repaired another dead LGB timer for me and has done the attached diagram which I hope will help other 'grown ups' who understand this sort of thing........

It is in PDF format and posted with his permisson and his slogan 'A Quality Jacksworth Product'.

James aged 55 3/4

Attachments

• LGB timer.pdf
    146.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Looked at the diagram, James. Not a chance this brain can absorb it.....:rofl:

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Dan,

Me neither, nor can I see were the treasure is supposed to be buried.

Sparky,

I thought 'Fixing An Amp' was by the Beatles?

James

sparky230

Registered
29 Mar 2011
Northfleet
Best answers
that is a 144mhz 4cx250b amplifier for VHF contesting , my other hobby

de 2E0IJH