LGB 50110 & 51070 and track feeds.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
I've just bought several of the above for my layout. I've not used these before and I have no instructions. The 50110 has two 5 amp outputs at the back. Does this mean I can connect two 51070 controllers to each transformer and still have a full 5 amps available on each controller? Should I expect any power/voltage drop if both are used to their maximum at the same time? I am installing a feeder box which will take current from each controller to 3 different points on each of my four tracks. I am going to use 1.5mm 5 amp mains lighting cable for this. The controllers/transformers will be housed in a purpose built box which can be taken indoors when the running session is finished. I have wired up some 7 pin trailer plugs and sockets as the method of getting current into the layout. Might sound a bit over the top but I have assumed (rightly?) the heavier the feed cable the less voltage drop I am likely to encounter. Any comments or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
On most of these transformers the two pairs of terminals are both connected to the same transformer winding. The output of the transformer is 5amps max in total. Also if using 2 controllers the 2 tracks must be kept completely separate otherwise you may get short circuits between the tracks. It is better to use a separate transformer for each controller.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think you will find the 50110 transformer is 18V AC at 5.5Amp maximum output. - That is the total output of the transformer as I understand it, so up to 5A out of either output, but 5.5A total for the two.
Note this is an AC output device, and whilst the 51070 controller is designed for this, some of the earlier models are not.

The 51070 is a 5Amp controller, which can have either AC or DC input. - It contains the rectifier etc. to convert to DC. Again, 5A max load on the controller.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag