LGB 4268s Yellow Cattle Sounds Car

Daniel

Registered
8 Nov 2016
Southampton PA
Best answers
Country flag
Purchased cattle car recently & can’t get sound to operate with 9 volt battery. However when using the power supply lead plugged into the power socket of the locomotive- it operates with sound. Looking for suggestions to correct this issue. Tried different batteries & locomotives already. Pictures enclosed. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• 816A8B3C-2A21-4810-AFB7-470080D74836.jpeg
    816A8B3C-2A21-4810-AFB7-470080D74836.jpeg
    529.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 7800C232-571F-49CB-9EED-97AEEF1543DC.jpeg
    7800C232-571F-49CB-9EED-97AEEF1543DC.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 0

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Isn't there a switch that changes the supply between either the battery or the rails?

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I think the track power provides the chuff rate, and the battery provides the power until you have enough track power, later model used a capacitor to provide power at low track voltage.

Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
The cows are chuffing? I thought I understood the UK expression "well chuffed" but now I am sorely confused! :rofl:

Chuffing heck - sounds like a load of clap trap to me!

Reactions: 1 users

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
i assume yours may be the same but with the birthday box car that plays happy birthday, the battery is just a backup for if you stop the train so it can finish playing the song, you can use track power on its own or battery and track but not just battery. The switch is just on and off, if its doesn’t have a connection to the train or track (i.e. metal wheels) it doesn’t know when to start playing the sound as it only strats when it sees voltage at the train or wheels.

Reactions: 1 user

HowardSue

Registered
7 Nov 2020
La Pine Oregon USA
Best answers
Country flag
How do you control the sound in the sound cars with DCC powered
Ours goes to full speed chuff because of the track voltages of 24 volts
Unless you install a DCC control
Me I’m cheep don’t want to spend the bucks for a DCC control for the chuff sound car
Thank You from La Pine Oregon

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
How do you control the sound in the sound cars with DCC powered
Ours goes to full speed chuff because of the track voltages of 24 volts
Unless you install a DCC control
Me I’m cheep don’t want to spend the bucks for a DCC control for the chuff sound car
Thank You from La Pine Oregon
I would think the only way would be to link it to the motor, but not being a DCC user not sure if this is feasible or even possible.

HowardSue

Registered
7 Nov 2020
La Pine Oregon USA
Best answers
Country flag
I would think the only way would be to link it to the motor, but not being a DCC user not sure if this is feasible or even possible.
No it gets full 24 volts or 0 volts from Loco. Thank You

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
The cattle car just has cow sounds. The cattle car does NOT have a chuff sound unless someone changed out the board.
( volt battery is power backup for interminnent power. I installed metal wheels on mine and added power pickups plus a decoder to turn the sound on /off. MRC dumped switch decoders years back for $7 US apiece and I bought many and use them for LGB DC sound units on my RR.

So, track power to start the sounds, battery is only for continous playing of the sequence once sound is turned on if track power is too low or off/reversing.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I think Jimmy is on the right track, but you probably need to run a SECOND set of wires FROM the motor to the board. The plug on the loco of course is track power.

I'd sure try his idea. There might need some filtering, but if you are trying to save money, that's the cheapest route.

Greg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
The cattle car does NOT have a chuff sound
I thought that the world's global warming was because of the chuff coming from cows :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

HowardSue

Registered
7 Nov 2020
La Pine Oregon USA
Best answers
Country flag
I think Jimmy is on the right track, but you probably need to run a SECOND set of wires FROM the motor to the board. The plug on the loco of course is track power.

I'd sure try his idea. There might need some filtering, but if you are trying to save money, that's the cheapest route.

Greg
Thank You

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I thought that the world's global warming was because of the chuff coming from cows :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:
Milk is good for us - producing it is not so they say. The Ice Age has not yet fully ended:(