LGB 3050 Abteilwagen variations

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
I was over at a fellow LGB enthousiast and we talked about the Elias tram loco and which passenger carriage would suit. He showed me an LGB 3050 'Abteilwagen' and ow, that is nice!
He told me there are several versions, green (obvious), blue (wonderful!) but also brown and an combination of a color with brown?

He offered me a blue one but it is missing a left and a right door. He will first check if there are spare parts and then I think I will add it to my small collection...

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
You are right that a couple of these look perfect behind the tram loco!
I've never seen a blue one of these? That colour might be from a special set, and might be very hard to get spare doors for unless you were prepared to repaint green or brown ones.
The green are most common (3rd class), the brown is 4th class and there is a half-and-half green and brown mixed 3rd/4th coach. You will usually pay a little more for the brown and the half-and-half versions as there as fewer of them about.
If you like things to match, then when buying any of these check the roof type - the earliest ones had shiny grey roofs while the later versions have a slightly rough-textured roof. There are a lot of lovely details on these, but that also means a lot of things that can get broken over the years - check that all door handles, door hinges (and of course the doors themselves!) are present and unbroken, and likewise the running-board steps and all their support brackets.

Jon.

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
More recently LGB released a new Olive Green colour of the same coach. I have a set of these, 3rd, 4th & P1030657.JPG 3/4th

Reactions: 1 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I've four of the 3050 in green,. all III class. I've never come across a blue version and I think that in the photo Henri has posted it's actually poor colour rendition that makes the green coach look a blue/green.

Interestingly, I seen the brown and brown/green coach described as red and red/green, and I've always thought of them as such. Maybe it's a red/brown.

I find the coaches a bit light weight and so intend to add a bit of weight to them. They look very fine behind my LGB Spremberger and my Playmobil locos.

I have a document I downloaded from the web which looks at the 3050 coaches in some detail. I'll find it, scan it in and post it here.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Here's the document. It's not quite as comprehensive as I thought it was, so maybe I read about the other versions elsewhere. I've had to post it as three separate documents as it was too large as one.

The source for this document is:

http://trainslgb.blogspot.co.uk/

Attachments

• LGB 3050 coach002.pdf
    653.9 KB · Views: 55
  • LGB 3050 coach003.pdf
    607.8 KB · Views: 66
  • LGB 3050 coach004.pdf
    310.8 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I was over at a fellow LGB enthousiast and we talked about the Elias tram loco and which passenger carriage would suit. He showed me an LGB 3050 'Abteilwagen' and ow, that is nice!
He told me there are several versions, green (obvious), blue (wonderful!) but also brown and an combination of a color with brown?

He offered me a blue one but it is missing a left and a right door. He will first check if there are spare parts and then I think I will add it to my small collection...
Henri, they may be nice and you may love them. But they are totally untypical of a Steam Tram Coach. Much closer is the Barner Bogie Coach that LGB (3060 3061 etc) have done in varying liveries. Just an example of what they look like:-

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...0019/lot-158e8980-fb3c-4f0d-a11e-a452008b4dd5

JonD

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Remember Rule Eight, JonD! If it looks good, run it...... :rofl:

I've run a couple of 3050 coaches behind a Fiery Elias and they look nice, prototypical or not... though they look even better behind a Sachsen 1K! ;)

Another coach option for you, Henri, is the 3040 type:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=L...2gaHNAhWnDMAKHWJsC_gQsAQIHQ&biw=2177&bih=1185

Jon.
You are of course entirely correct. Those 3040 being 4 wheelers are perfect as well. Guss I was trying to save Henry the trap of going for something that does not work (look or be correct) in a prototype way, something that we all have done. Though I guess more than most that I did live to regret it and predominantly have done something about it by moving on things that do not fit with my Harz theme. My 2 Sachen Meyers being a case in point, though they did fit into my Timetable till such time as the Trainline Malletts came onto the scene.
JonD

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
though they look even better behind a Sachsen 1K! ;)

Jon.[/QUOTE]

I'll second that- shame the shelf isn't longer

image uploading site

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Best answers
Country flag
I appreciate ALL comments. JonD certainly has a point as for me as a starter it is very hard to 'stick to a theme/time period/whatever rule I may decide I have to follow'. On the other hand, I just like too many different things now...
I just fell in love with the *blue* 3050's...

But I do tend to have things together that some way or another can be explained to belong together. My dad is a H0 scale hobbyist and boy did he teach me this rule...

Frank: GORGEOUS!!!! What's the LGB number of the last wagon?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Though I don't have the item numbers to hand, that 4-wheel baggage car has been done in several versions over recent years - DR green, at least one pre-unification State railway (Saxon or Prussian?) also in green, and one or possibly two brown versions as well. It should not be too difficult to find one on eBay (especially eBay.de)..... a train of your Elias, a couple of coaches and one of the baggage cars would look very nice on your line, Henri!

Jon.

Frank Gallagher

1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
Which tram loco is it?

Frank Gallagher

1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
Yes 3 coaches and a van would look awesome

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Best answers
Country flag
I finally got the coach at home! Whole family agrees it is GREEN but I think it is BLUE (color blind: check!)

So I need for this coach two doors, three lower hinges, a roof ventilation thingy and maybe the running boards (is that the correct word?) WHO can help me with these or point out in a direction...??

AND I'm also looking for a second coach in this color! The one I found online was sold already...

2016-06-21 17.12.28.jpg 2016-06-21 17.12.40.jpg 2016-06-21 17.13.22.jpg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I now see what you mean about thinking it is "blue", Henri! I think that is is a very, very early example of this coach type (as shown by the old-style couplings with the "sharp" triangular hooks) and the original plastic, which I think was a very dark blueish-green anyway, may have faded to a much bluer shade over the years. That last pic certainly shows the colour variation with the later-model doors whihc are from a much "greener" coach! All the examples I've ever seen or owned have been more the colour of the doors in the last picture.
That coach has had a hard life! As well as the doors, doorhandles, ventilator and buffers, it is also missing both its running-board style steps, that are supposed to run the full length of the coach below the doors.
For future purchases I would suggest looking for better condition and more complete examples - by the time you've paid for replacement parts (even if you can find them), you will probably have paid more in total than you would pay for a complete nice condition one in the first place. I hope this doesn't sound too negative, and you may well like buying stuff very cheap and fixing it up, but sometimes it is a false economy.....

Jon.