LGB 2028 mogul

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Edgar, happy to be of any help. I hope once you get to it, my description isnt cryptic.
You can do it.

be prepared to spend a bit in time and money in finding any needed replacement parts.
If it were me, i would reassemble with the old parts while awaiting the new. That way , you wont forget. Even when i had grey cells, things that seemed obvious at the time become less so after a few days absence.

perhaps the members here can direct you to good sources in the UK. Over here, ebay is becoming usurious..no outrageous in pricing. LGB parts are becoming more scarce, some unobtainable. I am certain this is due to marklin not wishing to support old LGB items.

champex linden may be the place to start once you know what you need.
idlers and tyres should be relatively easy and not too dear. others not so much, which is one reason to be be gentle and careful.
my luck with ordering marklin parts directly, even for recent models i have purchased new, has been abysmal. perhaps its better over there.

good gawd my typing has become awful... apologies.

best of luck

Last edited:

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
Steve, I’ve looked that the tires and other parts can be had through Only Trains to Tennessee. My wife’s parents are showing up later this evening, so I’ve elected to concentrate on messes other than my trains today. I hope to report back after having utilized your advice. Edgar

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
Following Steve’s directions, the engine was easily disassembled yesterday. After looking at Greg’s article about lubricants and the images and effects of what can go wrong, I ordered some Piko grease and waited for it to arrive. I didn’t feel confident to accomplish a complete disassembly and cleaning. 55807994-BC53-4ADB-A22C-245A030F90A0.jpeg

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
I used q-tips and got most of the the crud out. It doesn’t look like there was ever much grease applied and I wasn’t sure how much to use or how exactly to apply it. D29EAAF3-BD58-4FD0-AF20-1412180C7A18.jpeg CEAE2238-F80A-4320-890F-C64F6AA15681.jpeg C2BD3D56-07C3-435B-B3F8-0EBCA62B0FFD.jpeg

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
The engine seems to be making some racket I don’t recall hearing before. I’ve tried to load a thirty second video of the engine running slowly on a block. I got a message that the file is too large. The rods appear to move smoothly, but there is a perceptible clicking in forward and a grinding sound in reverse.

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
The engine seems to be making some racket I don’t recall hearing before. I’ve tried to load a thirty second video of the engine running slowly on a block. I got a message that the file is too large. The rods appear to move smoothly, but there is a perceptible clicking in forward and a grinding sound in reverse.
You need to link vids from a site e.g. YouTube

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
The engine is parked for the time being. I’ve looked at instructions for using YouTube, it appears to be fairly intuitive, so maybe it’s something I can handle. The forecast includes chances of rain all next week, I’ll be back with a report in the next few days. Thank you.