Layout Advice

Rjstruble

Registered
1 Jan 2021
Rancho Santa Fe, CA
Best answers
Country flag
I posted this on my large scale but thought I’d try to get the great views over here. Thanks...

After great feedback from the forum, I've reworked my design.

The principle changes tried to maximize curve diameter everywhere, standardize on R10 switches wherever possible and increase track length for the mainlines. I think I have achieved most of that. See below the latest, which has some of the operating stats and designed direction of travel indicated. I also have a drone shot of the plot I used for measurement. You can see the shed in the middle, which is 16'x13', and the railroad ties which frame about 1/2 of the main section.

The two mains are parallel overlapping folded dogbones (I think), each with ~480 feet length. For the biggest trains, there is an option to just run on the outermost loop (length ~245') where minimum radius is 18'. The limiting factor on mainline curve radius is the narrow easternmost section, the lowest the mains get is 13.5'.

There is an east and west interior loop and an elevated 'mountain run' in the northern section. All have tighter curves (lowest 11'4") to fit in the available space. The yard and the wye are the only sections that use R7 switches.

I'll build in sections, the first being the main outer loops. When complete, I should be able to run 5 trains (two main, two inner loops, mountain run) without much intervention.

Any and all comments welcome. I'm about to place a track order...

Attachments​

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Will be great for one of those new USA Trains FEF's that just became available. (of course I'd wait a bit until a few people have reported back and reviewed them)

I'll come by and hold the beers and watch you work ha ha! (seriously James and I can give a hand whenever)

Regards, Greg

Rjstruble

Registered
1 Jan 2021
Rancho Santa Fe, CA
Best answers
Country flag
Will be great for one of those new USA Trains FEF's that just became available. (of course I'd wait a bit until a few people have reported back and reviewed them)

I'll come by and hold the beers and watch you work ha ha! (seriously James and I can give a hand whenever)

Regards, Greg
Stay tuned track order going in Monday