Laying track......

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
So can decking. Actually, decking IS tanalised timber but with grooves machined into it. Usually, the producers of decking select pretty good timber so decking is often as stable a material as wood ever will be.

puffer

Registered
27 Dec 2009
Herefordshire
Best answers
I agree with stockers, i use tanalised timber and decking every other day and the decking would be my first choice.

Markrob Meister

Registered
24 Jan 2011
Best answers
Thanks Stockers.
So it looks like it's going to be decking.

Markrob Meister

Registered
24 Jan 2011
Best answers
Thanks.
I'm going with the decking.

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Here is my sketch of my improved track laying jig. As can be seen it allows me to solder a piece of brass strip alongside the running rail to create "grooved" rail and as the sections where I'll use this technique will be paved with either setts, hardwood blocks or apsphalt it should look reasonable from above, the groove will also be live so that will help with the conductivity....
I will have to have the brass strip cut from sheet. Maybe if I invested in a thiner slitting saw I could use .8 thickness....
I'm thinking at this stage that I'll tin the sections of sleeper where the track will sit and then just flux the underside of the track and heat it to sweat it into position. Ideas? thoughts?
d8d799a8279e4bf99337a01417732273.jpg