Nice job as ever, lowering the body as you have makes things look much better in the pony truck area.OK. Although she ran OK, I wasn't entirely happy with the way she looked. The body was riding too high on the motor block and there was a distinct rake to the boiler - which was rising up at the front.
So, a fair bit of hacking about with the razor saw to both the body and the motor block and the body is now 7.5mm lower than before. Also, 2mm hacked off the smokebox mounting and the boiler looks more or less horizontal.
Still a fair bit to do - but I'm happier with the way she now looks.
View attachment 291195 View attachment 291196 View attachment 291197
PS - I had a comment on Youtube from one of the guys who is building a full size replica of the original loco saying he'd love to see my model for real when it's finished ...... no pressure then!
I use a setting in Cura (my slicer program) called 'Ironing' which gives a very smooth final layer. I find PETG needs more work than PLA to get a ridge-free final layer though - hence the filling and sanding (you may spot a few diagonal ridges on some of the surfaces)In my opinion, you got an exceptional finish for a filament printer. Looking good! ( I do see that you did some sanding and/or filling)
It's taken a while, but slowly getting there (see above).Looks fantastic Rik! I can't wait to see it in it's final form I'm very impressed/jealous by how quickly you've taken to coaxing such great results out of your printer.
Quite so. It just didn't look right - especially with that large gap under the cab. It took a bit of head-scratching but in the end I figured how I could lower the body. The problem was that the driving wheels are really too large and so if you look really closely you can see the flanges do appear unprototypically above the top of the running plate. The outside frames help to disguise this. Thinking about it, I could use a small wheelbase USAt motor bogie (with extended axles) if I could track down a seller. However, the bonus of the Lyn block is I get the motion as well - though I still have to decide if my version will have valve gear - either Walschaerts (as per the actual locos) or Joy (as per the proposed locos).Nice job as ever, lowering the body as you have makes things look much better in the pony truck area.