K27,SHMBO sent me out to buy it!

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Cylinder and valve chest covers are not missing but they are different, plain discs, on the green boiler jacket version ( I don't have the "flying" logo version). I have both RGS and green boiler. What does intrigue me is my 455 RGS has the snow plough fitted up front and the one you have there has the "switcher" pilot. Did they make both versions in the RGS livery ?

There are quite a few detail differences between the versions that Bachmann made of the K-27. Not just at the front but also most noticeably the cabs and roofs. They are not just "cut and paste" livery jobs. My green boiler has the habit of punching out its left side valve chest cover periodically. Ended up bonding it on I got so fed up checking all around the 3 foot after running it. Max
Maxi,the plow didn`t come with it and unknown if the correct pilot is on the loco as per the 1;1 455,if the switcher pilot has been fitted as an aftermarket item I don`t mind at all,if I found a plow do you know if the item would suit either pilot?
As for people dropping off perches,it may be the only way to get one soon,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and I don`t plan on going yet!!!!!!:rofl:;);)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I think the plow requires a different smoke box door - a flatter bottom to clear the plow :nod::nod:

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Both the plough (or plow) and switcher pilot were made available as aftermarket accessories. They should be a straight swap out, as they are the actual parts used on the production K-27's. The smokebox doors on both loco versions are the same. Part of the deck is molded as part of both units so there is no cutting and shutting involved when swapped. The plough still has the deck to smokebox stays, at a sharper angle, plus an extra pair of stays above with 2 pins on each end that locate to the 2 holes on the upper part of the smokebox. These holes would normally be covered by a makers plate each side on the non plough versions when originally supplied- hence the proof that yours probably started life with a plough.

The only disadvantage of fitting with a plough rather than the shorter switcher is the limited movement of the extended (supplied and of necessity) of the front coupler. You are not going to be pushing anything around with the plough fitted.

Neither accessory sold that well so there may be some new/old stock laying around some shops or even Bachmann's UK/EU distributor. Put a search on Ebay and save it as they do come up.

Here is my mildly bashed Connie fitted with the after market plough, a fairly simple fit.

Connie 001.JPG

And here is RGS K-27 455 in stock form with the plough fitted.

Rollercoaster.JPG

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Kent Garden Railways have both pilots, but not a plow