Country flag
Reactions: 1 user

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
"Realism is very important to me"...shows Thomas LOL I love it, that's awesome.

Lately I'm collecting Lil Big Haulers before they disappear and old Scientific/Eztec freight cars, can't get much more toy-like than that.

I'm able to rework them to make them more realistic but as said above, Rule 8, run what you like, like what you run. I'll add my personal model train mantra.

"There is no 'wrong way' to build a model railroad if the methods used achieve the desired results your happy with"

Reactions: 1 users

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Nothing wrong with the big haulers, run them and enjoy. If you get a chance to pick up a LGB Mogul, I highly recommend it. I do find that invensting the most money you can in a good locomotive and control system(be it batteries or track power) is the best way to enjoy any scale of model railroads. Most important, is have fun with your trains, thats all the matters, not what others think or say. I have seen the original battery powered big haulers so modified, they look like a high doller brass model. Mike the Aspie

alanwhyte

Registered
27 Jan 2018
essex
Best answers
Hi .V smith and Artfull dodger.
Thanks for your input, Think i am getting over the toy thinking, just wish my kids
would stop telling me to grow up,, thats sounds boring.
aln

Reactions: 2 users

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Oh dear,why do you want to play with trains,BECAUSE I DO,what people think about our hobby is their affair,my sons are into football,I would prefere to watch paint dry or concrete go off,cant stand it but they are not into modelling at all,personal choice,don`t be swayed by other people,do your own thing and if it gives you pleasure and uses up your time as you want to spend it,what`s wrong with that and of course all of us on here can`t be all wrong,go for it Alan,great bunch on here will help you along,,,as for Big Haulers,I have 6,great locos as long as you look after them,their biggest problem I have found is uneven trackwork,if it`s there trust me they will find it,as for being toy like,in my opinion no,with maybe one exception,the circus locos,red,white,blue and gold are a little loud but the normal road names are fine,I will add a pic of a ex circus loco that I have transferred into something more subtle,it`s been posted before so no apologies there but just to show what can be done,GO ON YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO,good luck,,,,,Rio`OL NO 49 001.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

alanwhyte

Registered
27 Jan 2018
essex
Best answers
Hi Riograndad.
very good advice from yourself and the rest of members who have taken the time
to read and respond to my messages.. Maybe i dont want my pipe and slippers yet.

What a great picture. sure to motivate me.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
rhinochugger.
i dont.
Fortunately my family worked that out a long time ago - they humour me, sometimes encourage, and occasionally threaten to send for the little men in white coats :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I started with stuff 'straight out of the box' - no matter how toy-like, as long as it looked good to me. I did this partly because I was learning, but mainly because it enable me to build the railway instantly, and get something running, so that I could play while I learned.

Over time, I tweaked some things, sold some things, worked out what looked better to me and in what area, but I could do all that in slow time, because I'd got the instant stuff that I could run in order to get that train fix while I was concentrating on some scratch built or bashed stuff.

Works for me >:)>:)>:)>:)>:)>:)>:)

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Tryed being a grown up...wasn't fun..retreated back to being my self..kids say I'm the youngest out of all off us..strangely I have the most fun...go figure.. run trains ..enjoy it

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
???
So what has made my hair fall out?
???
:confused::tmi:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
???
So what has made my hair fall out?
???
:confused::tmi:

Alopecia

However, back to the subject of Bug Maulers, I have been meandering through the pages of my noo book about the Virginia and Truckee, and they had quite a few moguls with more regular wheel spacing (unlike the type used by the Nevada Short Line and modeled by Bachmann).

So my mind was wandering towards a Bug Mauler bash to provide something a bit different.......................

Might have to look for Annie going cheep :oops::oops::oops::oops:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Isn't the main difference between men and women, apart from the obvious, women are quite happy to grow up?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Well, actually, women seem happy to grow up to - maybe 29!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Well, actually, women seem happy to grow up to - maybe 29!
No you misunderstood me "grow up" not "age". We all know that the ladies don't get older than 29, they just grow up

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Riograndad.
very good advice from yourself and the rest of members who have taken the time
to read and respond to my messages.. Maybe i dont want my pipe and slippers yet.

What a great picture. sure to motivate me.
Nope Alan,a hard hat ,spanner and shovel is what you need;););),by the way although my sons show no interest in modelling if I am running or have a project on the bench they do actually ask what i`m up too this time or what are you doing now,who knows,If you start you may find your offspring may even come around to your way of thinking,even help,,,,,this hobby is magnetic,for example visitors to mine for the first time ask what i do with the track in the winter"do you take it all up?"retort is "No,I get the snow plow ready"which the starts an in depth conversation,one buddy of mine saw my railroad and has started albeit small one of his own:cool::cool:AND as we have said before if you do start,there is a wealth of wisdom and knowledge on here and always willing to help if we can,,,,,Go on Alan,you know you want to!!!!!!!;);););););););)