Intermodal Shipping Containers

Pipalya

White Pass, SAR (South Australian Railways)
16 Jun 2010
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
After some extensive contributions to the topic of Piko G Containers where I pondered about the model offerings and apparent lack of attention to scale and proper representation of the container identification codes, I have found a source of correctly scaled (1:24) container models. I purchased one as a test and subsequently have purchased more. Finding I then needed some additional flat wagons to haul these and after searching on line to discover that they were thin on the ground, were expensive and cost as much again in postage/shipping I decided to try building my own from scratch.
The journey will be illustrated photographically: starting below.

ONE 1.jpg

I was taken by the pink colour! Yes they are really pink full size. Not a novelty. ONE also do pink lettering on white. The models are not marketed for model trains but as novelties and office desk furniture.
ONE 2.jpg ONE 3.jpg
As they open they are also marketed as containers for nick nacks or whatever you like.
Note that the locking door levers are fully operational. Neither LGb or Piko do this.
I am unsure whether USA trains containers (1:29) have this feature. But this scale does not fit with my rolling stock so I haven't seen any examples to know.

Liking what I saw I decided to buy another.
ONE MAERSK.jpg
Yes same good model. This made me decide to build a suitable flat wagon to carry the models.
It would be longer than my other container wagons which are too short to carry two containers.
These 20' containers scale out nearly correctly to 1:24 within a couple of mm.
250mm x 100mm x 105mm
The Piko/LGB container is 300mm x 102mm x 107mm so the width and height are fine but the length is scaled to 25' which is too long. On the train and at a distance it looks OK!

Container train.jpg

Two correctly scaled 20 'containers on the front flat wagon, all others to the rear are Piko and LGB 25'. Still looks good.

More pictures to come soon. Click on the photos to enlarge.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
love it, As my university degree in the 90s was in International transport management and economics (BSc Hons) this topic is of real interest..... especially the intermodal TEUs.... and also why now and have been for 25 years a printer ! love all the different logos, really colourful (thats the printer talking not the transport business degree i guess)

Pipalya

White Pass, SAR (South Australian Railways)
16 Jun 2010
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user