gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
tramcar trev said:
I have a box of assorted caps but they are all too large capacity so I bought some from Jaycar RC5348 10N so it would be 0.01nF.... Not at all certain that it's necessary but as I said it kills the commutator sparking so that's good for life of the commutator I suspect.
I think you mean 0.01 uF

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
gregh said:
tramcar trev said:
I have a box of assorted caps but they are all too large capacity so I bought some from Jaycar RC5348 10N so it would be 0.01nF.... Not at all certain that it's necessary but as I said it kills the commutator sparking so that's good for life of the commutator I suspect.
I think you mean 0.01 uF
Yes I did mean that....
I'll have the quack run the dementia test again.....it's allright for you, you know what you're doing, I only know enough to be dangerous....

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
tramcar trev said:
Yes I did mean that....
I'll have the quack run the dementia test again.....it's allright for you, you know what you're doing, I only know enough to be dangerous....
If you can remember that you need a dementia test, you don't need one.
But seriously, I have sat through a few of those tests with my wife. But as the great Malcolm said "life wasn't meant to be easy".

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Hmmm yes not a funny topic especially if you live/care or have a rellie with it.. I worry about myself at times a few months ago I was looking for a Philips screwdriver and a hex key I searched high and low for them for over 45 mins; I emptied drawers; I got really frantic knowing that I had them.... I had them allright they were in my hand.... worse thing is that I was putting them down to search for them, picking them back up and carrying on with my search..... Dr says but when you found them you knew why you wanted them? ahhh well yes.... So I went off to have a brain scan, came back clear but I still have moments... No signs of dementia but I was diagnosed with STML....

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
gregh said:
10n would be 10 nF or 10 nanoFarad. or 0.01uF (1 nF =0.001uF)

My original suggestion was 0.1uF or 100nF. So we'll see whether Trev used 10nF or was having a seniors moment and forgot the extra zero.
That makes sense - I prefer things which can be worked out logically rather than it being some sort of arbitrary label - such as person's name :(

gregh said:
Whatever, the result sounds very promising. I MAY even try one for a smaller loco.
I wonder would it be possible to use a 2nd one for reversing, assuming space is OK
Neat idea. There would be room in my railbus for another board. Just trying to figure out if there was a way of preventing them from interfering with each other if I forget to zero one before deploying the other. Presumably a couple of diodes would do it.

Rik

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
ge_rik said:
Neat idea. There would be room in my railbus for another board. Just trying to figure out if there was a way of preventing them from interfering with each other if I forget to zero one before deploying the other. Presumably a couple of diodes would do it.
Rik
I was thinking of just driving a relay coil from the 2nd unit. Ramp the volts up till it picks up to reverse.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Because I am running my electric cars on track power I will install a 20,000uF capacitor on each one, that is 2 x 10KuF in parallel. That is about as physically as big as I can fit. This will serve as an anti flicker "battery" and also provide slow stops when the track power is cut by the signalling system. Flickering apparently would be problematic with any form of R/C that draws its power from the main supply...