trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi - don't know if this is the right place but ......

I would like a simple Keyfob remote control (with receiver) just to switch my Railbus on and off. I know nothing about these things just that I want it to be simple (and cheap).:rofl: THe 'bus isn't fast so simple stopping and starting isn't a problem.

Any links, explanations, etc, welcome!

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
You could experiment with something like this if you have enough room and a 12V dc supply in your railbus.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-CH-433M...ion_Controls_Touchscreens&hash=item20c50e82ec < Link To http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm...mp;hash=item20c50e82ec

Go for the 433MHz version as I believe the alternative 315MHz isn't legal for use in the Europe.
With a two channel auto latching mode one button will switch the motor on and off. The relays that come with the unit are single pole only, but may be used to supply the coils of additional relays. For example the other button could be used to feed an additional change over relay to reverse direction if you wish and if there's space for an additional relay.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Neil - thanks for the link. I have something from Maplins for my trailer set-up (energency stop if outside trailer) but its the 12v supply that would be the problem. There's room for 4xAA but I just wondered if there was something that ran on less than 12v. And - as an afterthought - it would need to be latching.

And that link shows a price which is less than one fifth of the price I paid Maplins!:wits::wits::wits:

Del Tapparo

Registered
24 Nov 2009
Windsor, Colorado, USA
www.gscalegraphics.net
Best answers
Country flag

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Del - thanks but no (its way beyond my intended spend - and also too good for what I want:clap: ). I was just after something simple and its a shame that most receivers operate on 12v (it would be a weight problem).

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry 12v again - but very cheap (£6.50)

http://youtu.be/8VcfKxg8YBE Rik

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Del Tapparo said:
Simple Critter Control .... Only $25US :)

I've not had anything to do with the Little Critter so I'm rather in the dark there. I tried looking at Aristo's site but nothing conclusive.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
ge_rik said:
Sorry 12v again - but very cheap (£6.50)

http://youtu.be/8VcfKxg8YBE

Rik

Hi Rik - that's on the lines of what I was thinking about about - 9 AA rechargables would provide the power (or thereabouts)?

Can you just hit the stop button regardless of speed or do you have to step down?

Edit:- Just ordered one. The're as cheap as chips and, If I have problems providing a 12v supply, I can use it elsewhere on another project.

Many thanks Neil, Del & Rik.

If anybody else knows of something that fits the bill (lower than 12v), please post!

Del Tapparo

Registered
24 Nov 2009
Windsor, Colorado, USA
www.gscalegraphics.net
Best answers
Country flag

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
trammayo said:
Can you just hit the stop button regardless of speed or do you have to step down?
Both
You can either step down or hit the off button. No reverse though so have to mount a reversing switch on the railcar itself - which is not too much of a hardship.

Rik

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers

simon@mgr

Aviation, model engineering & all things technical
25 Oct 2009
Gold Coast, QLD, The Land Downunder
Best answers
Country flag
tramcar trev said:
If you want stop/ start and speed control one of these is the beez kneez. Take the receiver out of the plastic case and its quite small. You have 3 controls, power on / off ,speed fast, speed slow..... I have had one for a while and have tested it on the bench under load and it seems quite serviceable...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wireless...ans&hash=item5aeb672467&_uhb=1#ht_4044wt_1330

I use these on my pizza layout with a 12v modem supply. Absolutely brilliant. Good service as well.
I put a reversing switch on the output to even out the wear on the track.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Del Tapparo said:

Thanks Del - no wonder I couldn't find it! However, the Railbus operates at a nice steady pace and I have it switchable (stop/start, fwd/rev) so it was a simple remote I was after which, so it would appear, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Thanks for your consideration and posting.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
ge_rik said:
trammayo said:
Both
You can either step down or hit the off button. No reverse though so have to mount a reversing switch on the railcar itself - which is not too much of a hardship.
Rik

Thanks Rik. Your answer is reassuring. I have it all switched and a press switch in the roof - and I justed wanted the ability to stop and start it as part of its interaction with track powered stuff on my trailer layout - and your helpful video has shown me the light.

I will post the results on my railbus thread.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
tramcar trev said:
If you want stop/ start and speed control one of these is the beez kneez. Take the receiver out of the plastic case and its quite small. You have 3 controls, power on / off ,speed fast, speed slow..... I have had one for a while and have tested it on the bench under load and it seems quite serviceable...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wireless...ans&hash=item5aeb672467&_uhb=1#ht_4044wt_1330

I knew you had experimented with something like that but couldn't remember just what! It's exactly the same as the one Rik shows in his short video and hopefully I'll sort out a reasonable compact 12v supply!

Thanks for your response:clap:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
I tryed the one I have and it worked reliably down to 5.5 volts though was not as responsive. the first thing the current hits is a 78M05 voltage thingy (love the technical nomenclature) so the receiver is running on 5V and will pass whatever voltage is supplied up to 24V...

DoctorM

Interests: Manifold
2 Jan 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone know if the receivers are coded to connect only to a specific keyfob, or would one interfere with the other if you used two of these setups simultaneously?

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
DoctorM said:
Does anyone know if the receivers are coded to connect only to a specific keyfob, or would one interfere with the other if you used two of these setups simultaneously?

That's a good question!