I think I've fried my RX66

Emilys dad

Registered
2 Jun 2015
People's Republic of Liverpool
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

Just after a quick confirmation of my screw up. I've been setting up a Deltang Rx66-22 in a Bachmann Annie , I had it all working with the loco apart, I put it back together, tested it and it was dead, so I opened the loco back up again.

The battery (Fosworks 14.4V NiMH Sub C pack) is charged up, the wiring is tested and shows continuity from the battery to the chip. But the status LED doesn't light up, and the bigest chip gets rather warm, rather quickly.

I've shorted it out and fried it somehow haven't I?

Cheers

E-D

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Possibly..............

Though if it is getting warm, there is life in something..

Look hard, at the top-right of the board.. Battery and Motor wires to the left, large expanse of empty board facing upwards...

Do you see the charred remains of a 2mm square chip?

IMG_20210202_195426.jpg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It does look to be OK.. - But obviously not, if things are getting hot.

A Supplier could test it further, and it is possible to effect a repair to some. :(:wondering::nerd:

sm_brown

Registered
1 Feb 2021
San Diego, California
Best answers
Country flag
I have managed to fry both an Rx65 and an Rx66. However, my problem was with the sound board. My loco is an LGB Mogul with a 65001 sound board. This loco was originally set up to run analog on track power. After removing the LGB MTS, all of the hardware to transfer track power to the loco, and installing the DelTang receiver, I mistakenly thought that I could just hook up the leads to the 65001 to the wiring for the motor. Big mistake. Train ran for a few seconds and stopped. Further investigation revealed that the Rx65 was overheating and none of the LEDs would light. When I swapped the Rx66 in for the Rx65 I got the same result only I saw a black spot on an IC of the Rx66. This is getting to be expensive. I have had both of the fried receivers checked out by the vendor. He confirmed the Rx65 was indeed dead; haven't heard about the Rx66 yet.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have managed to fry both an Rx65 and an Rx66. However, my problem was with the sound board. My loco is an LGB Mogul with a 65001 sound board. This loco was originally set up to run analog on track power. After removing the LGB MTS, all of the hardware to transfer track power to the loco, and installing the DelTang receiver, I mistakenly thought that I could just hook up the leads to the 65001 to the wiring for the motor. Big mistake. Train ran for a few seconds and stopped. Further investigation revealed that the Rx65 was overheating and none of the LEDs would light. When I swapped the Rx66 in for the Rx65 I got the same result only I saw a black spot on an IC of the Rx66. This is getting to be expensive. I have had both of the fried receivers checked out by the vendor. He confirmed the Rx65 was indeed dead; haven't heard about the Rx66 yet.
Discussed in your thread.