I may have trams running by Xmas!!!!

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Trams running by Xmas?

Maybe on flying leads to ensure the trackwork is useable without derailments?. The feeder pole is in place and the main overhead feed is there. The feeder pole is in fact an experiment but it will work well in this capacity.

I have finished the ?controller? which contains the power supply and speed/direction control as well as the Auxiliary switches for the town lighting and signaling. I was thinking of putting an Ammeter to the left of the control knob but finding one small enough is the trick?. It can be inserted at a later date when I find one suitable.

I scrounged some LGB track which is ?indoor? and tarnishes quite quickly compared with the OZ Rail stuff which is outdoor. This will do for a while at least until I get down to the nitty gritty of ?surfacing the road? with granite setts or cobblestones or what ever I chose to do?..
7b798466494748028557f67bf0dd3c11.jpg
09dcf8d1e61e4ddca6d0caa5c3308880.jpg
64f37d7c1c3c493a9b3d176c123aac9f.jpg
761cd0856b5c4f9794c0df6dc06408cf.jpg
I had 2 pieces of track left over so I placed them in the siding; this is a temporary setup but will allow the scrubber car to sit somewhere. Scrubber car?? I don?t have a scrubber car; next serious project must be a working scrubber car to keep things clean?

DoctorM

Interests: Manifold
2 Jan 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good Trev!

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Thumbs up Trev - get pole planting and wire stringing - can't wait to see more developments!

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Looks interesting, very interesting. Trams are becoming increasingly fascinating to me.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
impressive trev, carnt wait to see more:clap:

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Nodrog1826 said:
Just one thing that worries me, its one helll of a drop down to that car shed in the background, and that door is massive....:D
Errrrrrr, thts my "Wendy House', I spend many happy hours in there....

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
thats fine then wendy...:rofl:

Railfan

Registered
17 Nov 2009
Northern California, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Great job, Trev! It's almost Christmas. Are we there yet? :)

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Nice one Trev! Mind you, I think having Christmas in summer is definitely bending the rules... :D

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Yes well we can run a very limited service with trailing lead..... I just don't know how I will cope with the crowds going to the cricket on Boxing day....

Yes having Xmas in Summer is weird.... One would think that the northern hemisphere are the only ones who have Xmas....
I have a great Xmas Day planned for me... Up at dawn 0500 then drive to Sydney 380km visit her parents then go to her sisters for lunch and some acrimonious Xmas debate, then after that drive to Binalong 420km for dinner with our sons then drive home to Canberra 120Km feed the hound of the baskervilles and collapse.....
Wake up Boxing day and await the arrival of my parents and then spend the next 5 days running an aged care facility, no doubt drive to Binalong population 255 1/2, so grand parents can see grand sons..... For a time of rest, contemplation and reflection I'll spend most of it driving :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice Trev, question please and you may have said part of the answer in your Track Building Thread. What size is the baseboard with the return loop on, overall size and the Rad of the curves please?

Oh happy Xmas, frustrating all that driving when you just want to run trains. Dont forget the tramway trailer van for the Xmas day Milk Train run.
JonD

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
My base board is made of "hardiplank" ( fibre cement) its weather proof and 7mm thick supported on a treated pine frame. The section with the loop on it is 900 wide ie out from the fence and 1200mm long. the material comes in those sheeet sizes and are easy for me to transport. Min radius is 300mm but 350mm is the loop radius this equates roughly to a 35'0' street corner radius depending on how far one stretches one rubber ruler.....
The track will be covered in "ballast" and this will hide the "spasmodic sleeper spacing".... One product I totally dissendorse is the "liquid sandstone" that I covered the edge with.... its just so fake it may appear real and talk about a pain in the derrierie to apply......

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
Nice one Trev! Mind you, I think having Christmas in summer is definitely bending the rules... :D

8| It was 103 deg F when I took my wife to a Christmas Shop...... in South Dakota! :impatient: