rentren

LGB - Viafier Retica Wälderbähnle Rheinbähnle
22 Aug 2020
Kaslo/BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Two batteries, 1m/3.3 ft of 20 lights DECO LITE and two repainted LGB 4-axled coaches (LGB37xxx) can be lit and lit, moreover, in such a way, that there is also a platform light.
xmas diode light string lit LGB37xx coach (1).jpeg
There is one diode which may need masking as it hangs between the two coaches. (The coach at left undergoes experimental painting, ...brush! Haven't graduated to spraying.)
xmas diode string for coach lighting
Two RhB trains are circulating - rule #8.rhb, this is my Retian RW -, coach lights on. Yes, there are Newqida coaches too. 3 1/2 of them can be lit with the longer 40 diode DECO LITE string, 198cm, 6 1/2ft, lit with three batteries. I found the latter arrangement less bright.
Sure, a pair of LGB 37xxx coaches or 4 Neqida (4th one but partially lit) will then make a unit train not often separated. I run passenger trains often in the same composition of 4 passenger coach plus a baggage van.
This brings up the question of model choice. RhB does have 6-window coaches, 2-axled, Bernina Bahn, LGB 30563, which look somewhat similar to the LGB 37xxx units (RhB's at one point with green/creme livery) or else the 1889 pioneers LGB 30341.
As I use R1 curves indoors and in confined areas also outdoors for two turn loops, longer coaches than the roughly 1/2m long Newqidas are not the best choice.
When I was into acquisition shortly before and then during the Covid epidemic I found easy priced Florida Orange Boy coaches (LGB 37xxx type) which I deemed ideal for repainting.

rentren

LGB - Viafier Retica Wälderbähnle Rheinbähnle
22 Aug 2020
Kaslo/BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
For the time being the battery box (2 Alkaline) is loosely placed on the platform. I will disguise it as two figures.
TXT xmas_diode_light_string_lit_lgb37xx_coach.jpg

It's possible to place the 2 pc battery box below the car floor.
DECO LITE 2pc battery box.jpeg
Boogies will not be hindered when turning.
DECO LITE 2pc battery box under floor.jpeg
The 40 diode string may not light as brightly with its 3 pc battery box as the 20 diode string and 2pc battery box. Also, for lifting coaches off the track a pair of them is manageable, four Newqida coaches at once makes for a very full arm …
LGB roofs take two screws for fastening, Newqida simply snaps the roof onto the coach box. The first time I tried to pry off a Newqida coach roof I feared to brake the item. The catches may take a trick I do not know to make for an easier removal.
LGB & Newqida coaches with DECO LITE diodes.jpg

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
thank you.
so, if i understood right, these are ready made lightchains with their batteries?
do they have a brandname, by which to look for them online?

edit:
ooops!
i just noted, that the brandname is in one of the pics.

Last edited:

Mike Rayner

Registered
8 Nov 2023
Isle of Wight
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for your lateral thinking! It is certainly something that I will use. Mike R.