How i make my frogs, easy, simple and accurate?

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
By goodness I think he has got it. Yup that is the solution, glad to have been of help.
That made me laugh....Told ya: the zloty has fallen, sorry Zloty is a Polish currency, equivalent to ~20 euro cent.
Yes thank you very much for your help.

In real life they are not so "big", they widen a bit more
But to be sure i will combine the best

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
That made me laugh....Told ya: the zloty has fallen, sorry Zloty is a Polish currency, equivalent to ~20 euro cent.
Yes thank you very much for your help.

In real life they are not so "big", they widen a bit more
But to be sure i will combine the best
Know the Zloty quite well, first time I went to Poland to see Steam around the 80’s I wasa Zloty millionair for a few days as the exchange rate was so god to the UK pound. Zloty been re done since so pound probably worth less these days, a long time since I have been over despite the Regular Steam Hauled Passenger Trains still at Wolstyn.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
20200623_095010.jpg

I slip with the saw blade as you can see, did not payed enough attention, was for a example anyway.
Fortunately it was just your frog, not your fingers!

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Captains log experimental rail date 0.0157:

By the guidelines of the real captains on this ship, i made some progress on the experimentation on the frogs.

20200625_113512.jpg
Adding some extra cutting lines, notice that there is one line that does not cross the throat of the frog properly, i saw it to late, but the cut was good.
The lower one is the "original" with out the "lead in"
The top one will get a longer lead in. it is easier to machine that longer one out.
20200625_152633.jpg
A bigger and a smaller in radii frog. As some of you will see i need to improve my sawing jig, the saw blade slip off, giving a undesired extra cut.
At the short one at the lower right part.
With this "bigger" lead in improved frogs i will trim the outside edges more to match.
When i tried to cut the "short" lead in, it toke so much time and i was not happy with the result.
Some drawings to clarify it a bit more

20200625_154403.jpg
Needed cutting with a knife and a chisel.
It toke to much time and did to much damage, plus i did not like the appearance.
So i tried it this way:
20200625_154519.jpg

For the looks those frogs are "satisfying".
Flange bearing depth is 2.5mm btw.

20200625_152823.jpg
The aluminium strips are pieces of thrash, left overs used for all i can think of exept for the rail itself.
20200625_152725.jpg

Due to the fact that i had to enlarge the lead in the wing rails needed to be in a angle.
All the cuts had there center at the frogs throat, to keep true to the angles/radii and enlarging the lead in, it had to be a little wider.
Thus i had to put a angle on the wing rails.

Thank you for reading and trying to understand what i am writing in my poor technical english.
I came this far, i won't give up, so if any of you has a thought, idea, comment, improvement or would like to see the frog different ect, please let me know.
Its really appriciated.

Thanks in advance, cheers