How do you catalog your collection?

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
JMRI has a database, and it is integrated with the DCC programming features.

Yard Office is one some of my friends use.

I have also used Microsoft Access, I have a main database as well as linked tables on maintenance, things that need fixing, etc.

Greg

Having known you on this and other forums, I would expect nothing less.....:)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Many moons ago I used Bento Database to list my DVD’s, had the benefit that I had it on my iPad so that I could check and not buy duplicates. Then Apple made some upgrades to their software, Bento went out of fashion so it stopped working and I lost the 600 or so entries. Having been burnt by such an experience I stick with Spreadsheets, plus they are cheeper if you have them and anyone with Word has one of sorts. Yes it will not have all the bells and whistles but it does work. Pic below shows what I am now having to do to relist all my DVD’s, blue markers are the shelf that I have or am doing. Plus I cant take the list out with me on a searchable list on my iPhone! I had considered listing all my Trains on Bento, so glad that I did not.
8E317650-04F2-493B-851F-68F6265F7867.jpeg

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I used excel and backup the file to 2 hard drives and a thumb disk which I keep in my pocket.

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Had a few minutes to spare, used an existing Libre Office Database Template file and played around to design something that would be suitable for my own use.

LIbre Office Base Garden Railway Database.png

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Access database used here, for my N gauge stuff at least. The G scale collection isn't really large enough to warrant it at the moment, but the "official" Continental N list is now over 1000 - and that's not including souvenir display case items and my box of British N :D

I was also advised by insurers to keep a list with photos and individual values, but it's NOT treated as a "collection": the overall value of the whole would NOT be significantly diminished if - say - one item were lost/stolen/broken.

As with all our centrally stored household files I make sure the database is backed up regularly and a copy kept offsite.

Trainman58

When I grow up I want to be Compo- minus the feret
23 Nov 2013
Auckland,NZ
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
With this unexpected time on my hands (thanks quarantine) I thought I would inventory and catalog my (obsessively) extensive LGB collection, but I really don't know the best way to do that. I want more than an Excel spreadsheet, I was hoping there is some UPC based app that could help. How does everyone else keep track of their collection? Thanks!
Sorry to disappoint you but i use excel. I have a photo of the loco, DCC, LGB or homemade, value x number of wagons. I then split pages into collections - Austrian, Saxon, Puffing Billy etc. it is a bit simplistic but it works well for me.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
I made the calculation of my stock including track and pointwork some time ago with purchased price, i quickly shredded it you dont want that information falling into the wrong hands . Nod Nod wink wink

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I have previously posted that I do not have enough stock, to worry about cataloguing it, which was meant to be jokey and of course not true. It has occurred to me, that while i do not have a list as such, I actually have a catalogue on steroids. Many will be aware that I have posted many threads, on GSC, on the creation of models for the Claptowte Railway. I have replicated those posts on my computer, using the texts from the threads combined with selected photographs. I have also printed off copies to keep in a ring binder, so that they can be shown in a non-digital book form . As I say, a catalogue on steroids.

dig 190904002.JPG

David

Last edited:

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmm ..... Interesting thread. I suppose the main reason for an inventory is for insurance purposes in case of theft. In my case, the only inventory i have is a a stockist on my blog ( Stock list. )

Other than that, I can check on my goods stock when I have a running session and my freight management program tells me where each item of goods stock should be located. if something is missing, it's probably sitting on the repair shelf in the workshop. Locos are easier to spot, there's a gap on the shelf in the living room if a loco is missing.

i'm intrigued. Why do people need a database or spreadsheet? I have 70 items of goods stock, 6 coaches and 20 locos, but I'm sure I'd know almost immediately if something was missing.

rik

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I suppose it is the 'hassle' of locating the 'damn-paperwork', if things do go missing?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmm ..... Interesting thread. I suppose the main reason for an inventory is for insurance purposes in case of theft. In my case, the only inventory i have is a a stockist on my blog ( Stock list. )

Other than that, I can check on my goods stock when I have a running session and my freight management program tells me where each item of goods stock should be located. if something is missing, it's probably sitting on the repair shelf in the workshop. Locos are easier to spot, there's a gap on the shelf in the living room if a loco is missing.

i'm intrigued. Why do people need a database or spreadsheet? I have 70 items of goods stock, 6 coaches and 20 locos, but I'm sure I'd know almost immediately if something was missing.

rik
For me it is being able to keep track if things, I have different lications so knowing that that loco or coach is in the loft will help when I decide to have a clear out. It also helps with mids like fitting metal wheels or chips. Plus recording the purchased price and whether it was new or second hand will help give a fairer assesment of value if a sale ensues. Yes I know I do have too much stuff!

Reactions: 1 user

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
For me it is being able to keep track if things, I have different lications so knowing that that loco or coach is in the loft will help when I decide to have a clear out. It also helps with mids like fitting metal wheels or chips. Plus recording the purchased price and whether it was new or second hand will help give a fairer assesment of value if a sale ensues. Yes I know I do have too much stuff!
That makes a lot of sense, Jon. I suppose my equivalent of an inventory is my blog. That catalogues all the new additions and mods I've made to rolling stock etc. I don't keep a tally on expenditure, though. Just in case the missus lays hands on it ...... :eek: Besides, I'm not sure I would have a clue what to charge for the junk I have accumulated over the years.

Rik

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
That makes a lot of sense, Jon. I suppose my equivalent of an inventory is my blog. That catalogues all the new additions and mods I've made to rolling stock etc. I don't keep a tally on expenditure, though. Just in case the missus lays hands on it ...... :eek: Besides, I'm not sure I would have a clue what to charge for the junk I have accumulated over the years.

Rik
Yes do not have one of them to be concerned with any more.

Last edited:

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I made the calculation of my stock including track and pointwork some time ago with purchased price, i quickly shredded it you dont want that information falling into the wrong hands . Nod Nod wink wink
But it's an investment :D

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
It’s always a good idea to have an idea of what you own, I have before now bought a wagon thinking I only own 3 so 1 more would be nice.

I only noticed when I went to put the wagon in the storage location that 4 were already there and was a 5th wagon in My hand,

Needless to say I didn’t inform swmbo

Dan

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

rik
I'm still trying to remember if I've forgotten to put something on my list :confused::confused::confused:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It’s always a good idea to have an idea of what you own, I have before now bought a wagon thinking I only own 3 so 1 more would be nice.

I only noticed when I went to put the wagon in the storage location that 4 were already there and was a 5th wagon in My hand,

Needless to say I didn’t inform swmbo

Dan

Yes, but we all know an odd number 'look's better'.. :):nod::nod:

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag

rik
I'd like to answer the questions.

First, I applaud you in being able to instantly know if in your 96 items one item is missing, you sir are indeed way above average, or at least way above my mental capability... not only could I not tell immediately, but in my case, since there are 3 different locations to store items, it would probably require x-ray vision for me to equal that capability. :giggle:

More seriously, I use a database, so I can easily search for complex criteria, for example, now that Bachmann does sell replacement 2 axle motor blocks for Aristo locos, a simple query will list up all my locos that have the old style blocks that could stand replacement.

Another thing that I use is being able to list "sets" that I want to complete, for example different road numbers of passenger cars that are hard to come by, easy to do.

Another use is what cabinet the loco or car is in, since I have 5 rolling cases of trains plus 2 more locations. Again, I do not have the mental power to remember all locations of all cars, and I do not want to hunt around.

Another use is that I have several tables in the database, linked to the master one. One of these tables lists modifications and servicing, so it helps me check on when I last lubricated a loco, or the current stage of conversion, for example, lighting upgrades completed and planned, coupler conversions, lowering, and other improvements.

So I can give you a plethora of reasons why an individual would keep track of this information, and moreover put that information to use to better their enjoyment of the hobby.

Greg

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I wouldn't say I would know instantly, but as I get every item of stock out when I have a running session I very soon know if something is missing. I've just realised my freight management program is actually a database, which tells me where each wagon was located at the end of the previous session. Open wagons are a bit of a problem as seven are almost identical in that they have coal loads and could be located anywhere on the system. The other ten opens are easy to spot as their loads are all different or their bodies are cosmetically different.

Rik