How do you catalog your collection?

Gibby

Registered
27 Jun 2020
Camarillo, CA
Best answers
With this unexpected time on my hands (thanks quarantine) I thought I would inventory and catalog my (obsessively) extensive LGB collection, but I really don't know the best way to do that. I want more than an Excel spreadsheet, I was hoping there is some UPC based app that could help. How does everyone else keep track of their collection? Thanks!

penylanpip

Registered
1 Apr 2010
Barry, UK
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Being of simple mind, I have individual photographs of each item of rolling stock plus separate lists of wagons, locos, etc, on 'Word'.

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I stand in the shed and look at the boxes - I used to have a list somewhere, but for me, it's not worth it. I buy my trains to run - their value is in the pleasure that I gain from watching them run along the track >:)>:)>:)

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I use Model Train Catalogue (Exhibitors Edition). Model Train Catalogue Home. £10.99 for both editions. It has a wide variety of options and is easily customizable. I only have a few items cataloged so far as I'm adding each item as I acquire it and then as I'm preparing for a household move. Since I have to pack things up anyway, it makes for a good time and incentive to add them to the catalogue. I've set it up so that the actual database is on OneDrive and therefore accessible from any of my computers. (I've done the same with AnyRail.) I'll see if it is worth the effort in the long run, but for the price I figured i'd give it a try.
Ken

Reactions: 1 users

Gibby

Registered
27 Jun 2020
Camarillo, CA
Best answers
I use Model Train Catalogue (Exhibitors Edition). Model Train Catalogue Home. £10.99 for both editions. It has a wide variety of options and is easily customizable. I only have a few items cataloged so far as I'm adding each item as I acquire it and then as I'm preparing for a household move. Since I have to pack things up anyway, it makes for a good time and incentive to add them to the catalogue. I've set it up so that the actual database is on OneDrive and therefore accessible from any of my computers. (I've done the same with AnyRail.) I'll see if it is worth the effort in the long run, but for the price I figured i'd give it a try.
Ken
Thanks so very much! I will check it out!

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I use Libre Office instead of the Microsoft Office offering and have found it to be comparatively the same.

It comes with Libre Base, a free open source equivalent to Microsoft Access database, fully customisable to the users needs.

Last edited:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I don't have enough stock to worry about keeping an inventory.

David

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag

David

I was advised to keep one for insurance purposes by my home insurer.

Gibby

Registered
27 Jun 2020
Camarillo, CA
Best answers
I use Libre Office instead of the Microsoft Office offering and have found it to be comparatively the same.

It comes with Libre Base, a free open source equivalent to Microsoft Access database, fully customisable to the users needs.
Thank you so much!
Thank you so much! I will check into that!

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Good for you! You are not showing signs of obsessive compulsive disorder!!!!!

Oh I do OCD big time just ask SWMBO. ;);)

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
JMRI has a database, and it is integrated with the DCC programming features.

Yard Office is one some of my friends use.

I have also used Microsoft Access, I have a main database as well as linked tables on maintenance, things that need fixing, etc.

Greg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag

David
May be not, but is pretty unique!
I, personally, look in my storage box and if there's a gap, I know something is missing

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
There are quite a few options out there but for me Excell is more than adequate. Only thing that it is tricky to do is to calculate the number of items that you have so I include a spare column that has a 1 in it and Total that in the Heading Lines. These can be synked so that they appear as you scroll down the listing. Each item is also given a unique number as well with a small sticker with it on on each item of stock to id them. Even with a modest fleet this is a worthwhile job. Many of you may have thought that the unique number would give a total but as items come and go that is clearly not the case foe ever. I try to be quite fastidious in putting new or updating removed items from the list, of course that one gets removed though these days I have a separate sheet within the spreadsheet to move sold items to. Different makes also get their own sheets as well. A code is used to give a fleet Id (W C L) thus I can sort by that to see just how many wagons I have.

I know people that use Access for such a task, yes it will work and perhaps give you nicer more specific outputs but it can be tricky to set up for the novice like me and creating those reports is akin to speaking Swahili to me. Some ofvthe bespoke options that I have seen use a Windows type interface and entry screen which is fine if you remembervthe coding that you use, but a good old table entry is much simpler and mire conducive to getting the job done IMHO.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, that way they can class it as a single item, over the threshold, and charge you extra on the premium :nod::nod:

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I use Model Train Catalogue (Exhibitors Edition). Model Train Catalogue Home. £10.99 for both editions. It has a wide variety of options and is easily customizable. Ken

Thanks for posting Ken. I have just tried the demo - Little problem, it only seems to offer a limited range of manufacturer tags and nothing for 45 mm gauge. I cannot find a field for either of these noted as "other" so that it can be customised to suit all the different Fn3 and 16 mm scale products from the makers I have, just "unknown" that cannot be seem to able to be modified. Am I missing something here ? As it is it would be no better than just writing a list in a regular word document. :think: Max

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I do not have enough stock to warrant a catalogue. :lipssealed:

No, honest... i have very few item's... :giggle:

penylanpip

Registered
1 Apr 2010
Barry, UK
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
No, honest... i have very few item's...

Well now we need a 'yeah, right' icon, Phil, in addition to the long-awaited 'groan'!

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I stand in the shed and look at the boxes - I used to have a list somewhere, but for me, it's not worth it. I buy my trains to run - their value is in the pleasure that I gain from watching them run along the track >:)>:)>:)

But what about Theft, Fire, Pestilence, Tree fall, plane fall, plastic virus,,,, etc etc... An inventory will save time and effort for insurance purposes...try telling an insurance bod that your collection is worth £40,000 and see how much they reckon, without proof etc etc...oh and don't forget the track, points, buildings etc....