Hi,

Botanybay

Registered
4 Nov 2019
Maidenhead
Best answers
Country flag
I've been at it for a year now and having great fun . The basic circuits are in , engines and rolling stock suitable for 4 grandchildren are in place now for the real fun - modelling. I've started in 1:24 but I admit to being confused, "G" scale figures are taller than the doors! What do the people in the know model to?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hello 'Botanybay' (perhaps, give us a clue, of a name?) Welcome to the Forum. A sense of humour is optional, but really useful! :)

The LGB-stuff (and other makes) is based on metre-gauge European railways, so works out at 1:22.5.
LGB made a decision that all their stock would cope with the infamous 'R1' radius track, so to make everything look 'right' together, some dimensions, of some models are wrong..
We tend to use 1:24 diecast vehicles, and the like, but it really depends on how much it offends your eye. - If it looks right to you, then it is right.

Give us a clue what sort of rolling stock you have, and we can tell you more.

Oh, and the Grandchildren will not notice, or care! :):nod:

PhilP.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome, pictures would be good. You're about to be introduced to the infamous scale discussion and LGB's Elastic Ruler!

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hello 'Botanybay' (perhaps, give us a clue, of a name?) Welcome to the Forum. A sense of humour is optional, but really useful! :)

Phil
Botany Bay is near a small town in Australia called Sydney.
It was where Jim Cook and his mate Joe Banks landed and had a look at the plants there.
It was where all the crooks of the UK where going to be sent but they moved to Sydney Harbour instead because of better real estate values. ;) ;)

Welcome to the insane asylum BB, you don't have to be mad to come in here but it sure helps.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Phil
Botany Bay is near a small town in Australia called Sydney.
It was where Jim Cook and his mate Joe Banks landed and had a look at the plants there.
It was where all the crooks of the UK where going to be sent but they moved to Sydney Harbour instead because of better real estate values. ;) ;)

Welcome to the insane asylum BB, you don't have to be mad to come in here but it sure helps.
Yeah, I think Phil was looking for a name as in Ned or Kelly ;) ;)

Although it looks from our friend's location as if he is one we forgot to export - he's flying a Union Jack :clap::clap:

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I've been at it for a year now and having great fun . The basic circuits are in , engines and rolling stock suitable for 4 grandchildren are in place now for the real fun - modelling. I've started in 1:24 but I admit to being confused, "G" scale figures are taller than the doors! What do the people in the know model to?
Welcome to the asylum. If the doors are from some PIKO or POLA models they also have a variable scale but often are built to gauge 1 where 45mm model track = standard gauge prototype which is 1:32. So a 1:24 model figure might will well bang their heads on the door frame! If you have grandchildren then you will find Playmobil figures are quite a good fit and they are indestructible.

Botanybay

Registered
4 Nov 2019
Maidenhead
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, Sorry yes I do have a name and a sense of humour! The name's Martin. As for trains and rolling stock I bought a mish-mash of job lots and have ended up with a Pico 0-3-0 , a Stainz and a Bachman engine which I haven't identified (but it's a 0-2-0) there's also two small diesels and a dead live steam . Rolling stock is mainly the cheap Chinese lgb copies , I've wrapped the axles with lead to make them more stable. The layout is progressing but as the winter draws on I'm scratch building models. I have just downloaded a programme called uphotomeasure that allows scaling off photos, really useful!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Martin!

"Winter Draws on"....? Hope they are thick wooly ones..... :D

Jon.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Martin - welcome! If you're not satisfied with the height of figures, there are plenty of chinese rip-offs that won't have to stoop to get through the doors!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
0-3-0? Do you mean 0-6-0?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum Martin, as for the variable sized Figures do not worry overmuch. Just keep the Big ones to the front, smaller ones at the back of your line and the eyes will not notice. Same with vehicles and Scales.

Figures, your Grandees Lego Figures will work just fine with the Trains. They will have lots of fun putting them in the Doors that normally Open. Also they can be transported with Animals in Open Wagons or Vans, they will love that.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Martin, I think everybody else has said everything for starters, just start asking the questions.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
G'Day mate

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, Martin.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
0-3-0? Do you mean 0-6-0?

I think this may be related to the way loco wheel designations are done in (some parts of?) Europe, where they seem to count the axles rather than actual wheels - sometimes also denoting the number of DRIVEN axles by a letter rather than a number.... I've seen the Harzbulle 2-10-2 locos designated as 1-E-1 (one leading axle, five driven axles (hence "E") and one trailing axle).
A 4-6-2 would thus be a 2-C-1 under this system.

Jon.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Martin....

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I think this may be related to the way loco wheel designations are done in (some parts of?) Europe, where they seem to count the axles rather than actual wheels - sometimes also denoting the number of DRIVEN axles by a letter rather than a number.... I've seen the Harzbulle 2-10-2 locos designated as 1-E-1 (one leading axle, five driven axles (hence "E") and one trailing axle).

Jon.
You are refererring to Whyte notation (wheels) versus UIC notation (axles). Swiss have their own notation, and the Americans have AAR which is axle counting. UK and US use Whyte for steam and AAR for diesel (broadly speaking). See:
Whyte notation - Wikipedia
UIC classification of locomotive axle arrangements - Wikipedia
Swiss locomotive and railcar classification - Wikipedia
AAR wheel arrangement - Wikipedia

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag

Jon.
Interesting. I've always counted wheels, so in my head and 0-3-0 brings up an image of 3rd rail!