lpsfu48

Registered
5 Jun 2021
Kamloops
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I am new to this site and am looking forward to seeking help and offering my suggestions. I have yet to set up a train but have made arrangements to receive three cars and an engine, and about thirty some odd feet of track. Well, if anyone has any comments this is the time to ask questions and offer suggestions. I plan to do a test installation initially , then install some track on the upper walls of our garage. Cheers!
Larry

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum, Larry..
I am not very hot on my Canadian geography, so had to look Kamloops up. Looks like you are a ways over there.

Please ask any questions, and when you make a start, we like pictures..

PhilP.
(From the tiny island of Great Britain).

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Larry welcome to the forum, you don’t say if you are DC, DCC, Battery power, and I assume this is LGB. it sounds as if your railway is going to be permanently installed inside the the garage, with no outside running. So lots more questions than answers.
P.S. watch out for the humour, and we love photos.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Larry, PhiLp has answered my first question! We have several Canadian folk on the forum, but knowing Canada, you're probably closer to us here in the British Isles than you are to them! :giggle:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Latty, lots of things to do. Have a look at my build and vid linked below to see a little more of what is possible.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Larry....

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, to start are you in Canada? If so you may want to change your "flag" so when people make recommendations, they know not to tell you to go over to your local dealer in Kent, UK to buy something, i.e. can make recommendations that are "regional".

Also what is the train, is it Bachmann or what? If Bachmann, is it the steel track?

Greg

lpsfu48

Registered
5 Jun 2021
Kamloops
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum, Larry..
I am not very hot on my Canadian geography, so had to look Kamloops up. Looks like you are a ways over there.

Please ask any questions, and when you make a start, we like pictures..

PhilP.
(From the tiny island of Great Britain).
Thank you PhilP. I am still waiting for all my parts so it will be a while. Initially I will set it up on the floor , to make sure every thing works.; After that, I will be attaching the tracks to supported shelving on the walls. It should be a lot of fun, and to be sure the train doesn’t fall off on to the floor on corners, I will be putting up short walls on the shelving.

lpsfu48

Registered
5 Jun 2021
Kamloops
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Larry welcome to the forum, you don’t say if you are DC, DCC, Battery power, and I assume this is LGB. it sounds as if your railway is going to be permanently installed inside the the garage, with no outside running. So lots more questions than answers.
P.S. watch out for the humour, and we love photos.
My power will be DC from a power supply. What is DCC? and what is LGB? My train is G scale . I only have two cars so far , and there is an engine and two more cars on the way.

lpsfu48

Registered
5 Jun 2021
Kamloops
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Larry, PhiLp has answered my first question! We have several Canadian folk on the forum, but knowing Canada, you're probably closer to us here in the British Isles than you are to them! :giggle:
Well, my father was British, and was born in Pinner. He came to Canada and met my mother in Saskatchewan, then they came to British Columbia to settle in 1935.

lpsfu48

Registered
5 Jun 2021
Kamloops
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
As soon as I get some set up done , I will be attaching photos, etc. I said I have only four units but there will actually be four cars and an engine. All White Pass train size G. Cheers!
Larry

lpsfu48

Registered
5 Jun 2021
Kamloops
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, to start are you in Canada? If so you may want to change your "flag" so when people make recommendations, they know not to tell you to go over to your local dealer in Kent, UK to buy something, i.e. can make recommendations that are "regional".

Also what is the train, is it Bachmann or what? If Bachmann, is it the steel track?

Greg
Hi Greg, yes it is Bachmann; and the track is Brass. Does that sound like it is ok?

lpsfu48

Registered
5 Jun 2021
Kamloops
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Greg , yes I thought brass would withstand moisture better than steel, and be stronger than plastic. So , thankfully I made the right choice. I am still wondering what LGB is? is it a brand?
Larry

lpsfu48

Registered
5 Jun 2021
Kamloops
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for that info Greg. Well I will be educated after I get through with this hobby for sure.
Larry

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for that info Greg. Well I will be educated after I get through with this hobby for sure.
Larry
Hi Larry, welcome, and it's alway nice to find someone new joining us large G scale hobbyists. LGB trains company, Ernst Paul Leymann Patentwerk, Germany, starting producing the large scale trains suitable for the garden in 1968 with their famous LGB 2010 Stainz German locomotive. Then in 1985 they additionally starting producing American style locomotives, the first one being the LGB 2018D Mogul. From 1968 to 2006, they produced hundreds of European and American style locomotives in G scale and associated rolling stock. Unfortunatrely, at the end of 2006 they filed for bankrupcy and in 2007 Marklin Germany bought the rights to their patents, engineering drawings, molds, etc, and starting producing LGB products again. You can Google LGB Trains to find lots of information about this world-famous brand of large G scale model trains. I also have some good information about LGB trains on my Website, including links to two YouTube Videos touring the former LGB factory in Nurember, Germany. Marklin is headquartered in Germany but operates their LGB factory in Hungry.
Old Dominion Railways
Website: LGB Trains | Old Dominion Railways | Repairs & DCC Installs | United States

lpsfu48

Registered
5 Jun 2021
Kamloops
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I have an update that some may enjoy. I have not yet set up the train simply because I am stiil waiting for the engine and four cars to arrive; as well as some 4 foot straight track and some joiners (short of a perfect definition , it’s merely a piece that joins back into the main track after going in a circle)
So, the interesting part is I have abandoned the original plan to install the track in the garage for now. I am now concentrating on in stalling it in my study, which has 3 tall book shelves on 3 walls. I plan to enter each book shelf from the side, with a tunnel, and join the track between book shelves using a credenza and an extra dining table. I will be laying half inch finished cabinet ply wood on the table to make one circle and another one on the other side of the doorway to make the other circle. This train will be an ideal way to enjoy the study which I rarely use as I get older(-.-) I am only 72 but am looking ahead into my senior years !
My question in all this, is: “Will a circle route as I have described, when it returns to the main track in a 48 inch diameter circle, require any special “joiner”? What is it called?
Thanks for your interest, I am looking forward to comments that will prevent any long delays in getting parts shipped(-.-) Cheers!
Larry

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
No need for a "special joiner" other than a standard point or switch in American parlance. You can get those in a variety of sizes but if this is indoors it will probably be an R1 point (R1 = 48 inch diameter). Depending on how you join the two circles you may need something special to handle the current reversal / short circuit issue. One side of the track you can imagine as positive and the other negative, and if you follow the track round you will find at some point the positive meets the negative causing a short circuit. There are various solutions to this for DC, but perhaps first if you could draw a quick sketch of your proposed study layout we can advise you better.