trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
SWMBO calls that having a "Man Look" but I must confess that I am a sufferer of domestic deafness.
I also suffer badly from CRAFT, Can't Remember A Flamin' Thing. :):););)
That's me to a tee!

AndyG1955

Registered
28 Dec 2021
Hunter Valley NSW Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All,

Thanks for the welcomes etc.

Have been having fun getting the trackbed laid and the trackwork started.

Track is Brass Oz-Track from Pamak Hobbies in Bargo NSW (am I allowed to mention them ?)
dsc01122-jpg.294237

Attachments

• DSC01122.JPG
    DSC01122.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC01123.JPG
    DSC01123.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All,

Track is Brass Oz-Track from Pamak Hobbies in Bargo NSW (am I allowed to mention them ?)
dsc01122-jpg.294237
Looking good! Will you employ some protection against possible derailment at the lower end of the line?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All,

dsc01122-jpg.294237
Welcome to the forum, bet you get some passing interest from the road when running.

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Andy and welcome.
As you previously noted, things can and most definitely will get out of hand.
Enjoy it all.
Trevor

Andrew_au

Registered
12 Nov 2021
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
When I first saw that picture I was wondering why your gradient was so great, and then realised that the track is flat and you have a serious down-slope on your block!

What are the approximate dimensions, and what's the radius around the curves?

How did you make the base?

AndyG1955

Registered
28 Dec 2021
Hunter Valley NSW Australia
Best answers
Country flag
When I first saw that picture I was wondering why your gradient was so great, and then realised that the track is flat and you have a serious down-slope on your block!

What are the approximate dimensions, and what's the radius around the curves?

How did you make the base?
Yep, it was leveled with a laser level,

15m from outside top to outside bottom Lower curve is 2.54m radius, top curve is 2m radius

Supports are 140 x 45 H3 timber treated with bitumen fence paint, on to is 18mm marine ply, also treated with bitumen paint.

As you can see, its hung off the side fence with diagonal supports under the high end so the grass can still be mown.

Was fun figuring out how to build it :)

Reactions: 1 user

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard;););):clap:

Monty

Registered
16 Apr 2018
Springwood, NSW, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Planning to use some plastic gutter-guard as fencing :)
Hi Andy,
We had a similar problem with 'gravity' on our club track at Galston [Hornsby Model Engineers - Home] when a very expensive steam powered loco left the track on one of the higher parts.
To prevent it happening again this fence was constructed of galvanised steel 'posts' bolted to the frame and a strip of polycarbonate sheeting bolted to the uprights.
It got a bit dirty with all the rain we have been having recently but cleaned up easily and gives us all a great deal of peace of mind. It has been there for a couple of years now.
Your idea of the plastic gutter guard may be ok but it may catch on projections of the escaping loco/carriage, hopefully it will never be needed though.
The picture attached is the only one I can find at the moment but might give you a bit of an idea.
The loco is a battery r/c conversion of a Bachmann Lyn followed by some cast resin cars bought from Pamak Hobbies, some time ago.
cheers
Ian
20220216_095557a.jpg

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice and welcome to the club. Just wondering why it is elevated? Is it to keep away from the Crocs?

Attachments

• PXL_20230419_233834860.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230419_233834860.MP.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 0

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
We had a similar problem with 'gravity' on our club track at Galston [Hornsby Model Engineers - Home] when a very expensive steam powered loco left the track on one of the higher parts.
Similar to the incident t last years 16mm show. There wasn't much left of some poorsouls loco and trinity as it took to the air at high speed and stopped abruptly on the concrete floor.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Andy....

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
I had a ho scale Turbo train. It came with 2 powered engines and a passenger car. I payed 540 can. 10 years ago. I accidently dropped it the second day I got it. It flew off the tracks and onto the same concrete floor ,twice while I had it. I sold it for 1000 can ...4 years later and he drove 4 hours each way to come and get it.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I had a ho scale Turbo train. It came with 2 powered engines and a passenger car. I payed 540 can. 10 years ago. I accidently dropped it the second day I got it. It flew off the tracks and onto the same concrete floor ,twice while I had it. I sold it for 1000 can ...4 years later and he drove 4 hours each way to come and get it.
It seems you have a history of train derailments, I can understand why your G gauge is at ground level.