Help with sourcing parts for scratch build

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Is 5mm foam board OK for making G scale models? By OK, I mean is it strong enough?

Does 5mm give doorways and windows enough depth?

Sorry. probably re4ally stupid questions, but before I order a sheet, II just want to be sure.
The 5mm foam board in your in at post #11 is a modelling board with a paper coating, okay for indoor models, not really suitable outside (unless you bring it in every night) what you need for outside is as described by LGB-Sid LGB-Sid at post #14. 3mm or 5mm should be fine dependant on size and how you reinforce it.

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
Plenty strong enough if you use the Plastic Coated stuff, even the card stuff is good for indoor buildings.
OK, so first piece ordered - let the scratch building butchery begin :)

The mechanic

Registered
24 Nov 2016
South Staffordshire UK and Co. Wexford Eire
Best answers
Country flag
Have you seen/considered using these?.... Bromley Craft Products - Stencils for Dolls House Brick Finishes - Mail Order Online Shop
Use a foamboard (or UPVC as below) core for your building walls, then position the stencil and wipe over with suitable rendering (cement or polyester resin based) then peel the stencil off before the render fully cures. Overlapping is pretty easy.

For some of my buildings I have used recycled/scrounged UPVC window sill sheets. They come in various widths and lengths - some as long as the skip they are scrounged from! They make up unto pretty substantial units, you can screw the corners together and you get a decent wall depth for window and door reveals. The good thing about the stuff is that it's virtually bomb proof and it's free (when recycled/scrounged).

Just a couple of thoughts

Dave

Last edited:

Andreas

Registered
26 Jan 2021
79576 Weil am Rhein, Germany
Country
Germany
fam-weniger.jimdofree.com
Best answers
Country flag

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
Thanks for the ideas and also the website.

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
Also, is anyone aware of a "brick press" - something that will indent a brick pattern rather than having to make press individual bricks?

There are textured rolling pins, I think this site lists some for G scale:

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
There are textured rolling pins, I think this site lists some for G scale:
Hi. I have looked at them but was wondering, given I'm a novice, if i could roll the pattern accurately across / up a piece of foam board . That said, all suggestions provided do far are under consideration.....hopefully one method will work with me.

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
Hi
did you know this website. This material is in Gemany very popular

Joker-Ruegen - Joker-Ruegen
The items they have for sale are really interesting. My only issue would be to make it worth it importing to UK, I would want to spend allot to justify it :(
But its yet another good idea which I will likely come back to (the different roof tile choices caught my eye!)

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
Have you seen/considered using these?.... Bromley Craft Products - Stencils for Dolls House Brick Finishes - Mail Order Online Shop
Use a foamboard (or UPVC as below) core for your building walls, then position the stencil and wipe over with suitable rendering (cement or polyester resin based) then peel the stencil off before the render fully cures. Overlapping is pretty easy.

For some of my buildings I have used recycled/scrounged UPVC window sill sheets. They come in various widths and lengths - some as long as the skip they are scrounged from! They make up unto pretty substantial units, you can screw the corners together and you get a decent wall depth for window and door reveals. The good thing about the stuff is that it's virtually bomb proof and it's free (when recycled/scrounged).

Just a couple of thoughts

Dave

WHY SO MANY CHOICES :) Ive read through the info and their site and again, this is a very interesting method. I might well order next month a brick stencil and the mortar they sell, just to see what it looks like. As for the UPVC freeee dumped stuff, you know what, Im now going to keep my eyes open for this stuff (once Covid lockdown is over!)

Andreas

Registered
26 Jan 2021
79576 Weil am Rhein, Germany
Country
Germany
fam-weniger.jimdofree.com
Best answers
Country flag
The items they have for sale are really interesting. My only issue would be to make it worth it importing to UK, I would want to spend allot to justify it :(
But its yet another good idea which I will likely come back to (the different roof tile choices caught my eye!)
off Topic
hi,
yes shipping has unfortunately not become easier since the brexit - I hope it will get better with time.
I just bought a book in the UK. 20 pounds for the book and 17.50 for shipping. The whole package was covered with customs stickers and declaration stickers.

Reactions: 1 user

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
I bought lots of Marklin electronics bits and pieces from Germany, pre Brexit, with mo issues. Delivery times excellent, prices with postage competitive to UK prices or in many cases, cheaper! Now, with delays and higher taxes, it has hit my hobby!

John Le Forestier

Registered
15 Feb 2020
Toronto
Best answers
Country flag
I have used produce trays from the grocery store as a very cheap (free) source of foam sheeting. It can be embossed with a steel ruler and a dull pencil or dry ballpoint pen, as well as other tools. I know a chap who embossed it with the end of a rectangular brass tube, to make a paved road.

However I recommend that you avoid any painting on outdoor structures. I make all mine from unpainted, weathered wood. 1:24 scale is good enough.