Help with sourcing parts for scratch build

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
Hello

I am having trouble finding G Scale (1:22) plastic sheets for bricks (red brick). I can find plenty of embossed card and paper, but nothing that will be weatherproof as the building will be outdoors year round (UK weather).

Am I looking for the wrong type of product? Are these brick sheets made from something other than plastic nowadays (apologies, its been 35yrs since I scratch built anything).

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
You can try using the word styrene in the search - it's sometimes described as that.

It's not easy to find G scale embossed sheets - I did manage to buy a sheet of something approach shiplap boarding at the last Peterborough show, but I can't remember which retailer that was from.

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
Thanks for the replies.

I'm guessing, but am happy to be corrected, that the 1/24th scale would be the closest match to G Scale? I always get confused with the next issue.......1:22 vs 1:24 - the bricks in a wall at 1:24 will be smaller than the same in 1:22 scale?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the replies.

I'm guessing, but am happy to be corrected, that the 1/24th scale would be the closest match to G Scale? I always get confused with the next issue.......1:22 vs 1:24 - the bricks in a wall at 1:24 will be smaller than the same in 1:22 scale?
Yep, you are correct..

The problem with the embossed sheets, is they are never big enough, and being thin, they tend not to stay stuck to the building..

Have you thought of using foam board? Beware of that sold at Hobbycraft, as it has a paper facing (rather than plastic). This means that the snails eat your brickwork!

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
Yep, you are correct..

The problem with the embossed sheets, is they are never big enough, and being thin, they tend not to stay stuck to the building..

Have you thought of using foam board? Beware of that sold at Hobbycraft, as it has a paper facing (rather than plastic). This means that the snails eat your brickwork!
I havent thought of using foam board - I must admit, I am completely new and never built a model for outdoors. Would the foam not soak up mositure and distort? Does foam board come pre embossed with brick.?

I am going to try and reproduce this signal box, located at Wernigerode (Germany) on the Hartz railway. It has a very basic shape, which is good for someone like me. Any advice on materials is welcome - I can't model with resin as I don't have the tools or moulds, so pre made sheets cut to size is my best bet.

So many questions!harzer-schmalspurbahnen.jpg

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Ah!
No, the foam-core is closed-cell..

Have a look at through Mike's Lazy Grange Bay III thread. - Warning! It is very long, and will draw you in.. :)

Now, I have to admit to not being able to get to my photos of the Wernigerode box.. And I can't nip down the road, and take some more, at the moment.. :(

SW is going to have a look on her laptop, but there are probably some pictures in David1226's Picture of the Day thread? - This one is big, and will draw you in, as well!

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Something like this :

IMG_1822.JPG
PhilP

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
OH MY!!!! Thats it, I love it. I hadn't considered the detail in side BUT as it will be lit, I think I will need to. Excellent image.

Off to read the suggested threads.....see you in a few months :)

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
OH MY!!!! Thats it, I love it. I hadn't considered the detail in side BUT as it will be lit, I think I will need to. Excellent image.

Off to read the suggested threads.....see you in a few months :)
That particular model, now resides in the Midlands, and if it were not for the present situation, you could even visit it..

PhilP.

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
Is this the stuff I should be looking at?

Also, is anyone aware of a "brick press" - something that will indent a brick pattern rather than having to make press individual bricks?

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

Also, is anyone aware of a "brick press" - something that will indent a brick pattern rather than having to make press individual bricks?
I don't know of one.. Mike's thread will show the technique. - A use for a couple of old screwdrivers..
For a uniform pattern, plus building-out window reveals and doorway, it takes some beating.. IMHO, infinitely better than cutting individual 'brick-slips' from balsa, and sticking them on. - Another technique.

PhilP.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

No you need Plastic Coated Foamboard, if you read the spec on that one you linked it it says “Acid Free Paper”. There are a few of us on here that have used it. Have aa trawl through Mik’e Lazy Grange Railway, he is a serial culprit for using the material. You may need to get to some of his more recent stuff, you can quickly move around by coopying the link and updating the page number at the end if the link. He has been posting on here a lot.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Foamex is one name for it PVC sheets these sell it but lots of others will as well, I have bought from them as they will cut large sheets in sizes that can be collected, so I bought a lot at once :) beats buying a4 sheets on eBay.

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
Thanks for pointing that out. PhilP did say that, i just didn't notice in the product description.

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
There are several companies that deal primarily with crafting and baking that produce textured embossing rollers.
An example is linked below. It may be useful to try searching 'embossing roller' obviously you would need to check the size of the pattern.
Paul.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Foamex is one name for it PVC sheets these sell it but lots of others will as well, I have bought from them as they will cut large sheets in sizes that can be collected, so I bought a lot at once :) beats buying a4 sheets on eBay.

Oh that is handy they is in Gainsborough, not too long a trek from either of the Stations. I see a day out when possible. My stock is getting a little low.

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag

I 3d print embossing cylinders which might be tough enough to push into foam board. The edges are reasonably sharp, so I think it would push into the board ok.

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
Is 5mm foam board OK for making G scale models? By OK, I mean is it strong enough?

Does 5mm give doorways and windows enough depth?

Sorry. probably re4ally stupid questions, but before I order a sheet, II just want to be sure.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Is 5mm foam board OK for making G scale models? By OK, I mean is it strong enough?

Does 5mm give doorways and windows enough depth?

Sorry. probably re4ally stupid questions, but before I order a sheet, II just want to be sure.
Plenty strong enough if you use the Plastic Coated stuff, even the card stuff is good for indoor buildings.