Help with a live steam shay

dger22a

Registered
12 Feb 2017
Hereford
Best answers
Hi
got hold of a steamlines shay, propane with remote control. Did it ever have the ability to go in reverse also do you know any body who has any info

Many thanks john a complete newbieWP_20170314_18_13_54_Pro.jpg WP_20170314_18_14_09_Pro.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I had never come across the make - but there is some Google info, particularly reference to using R/C. This clearly indicates that it is capable of going in both directions, but I haven't yet found any reference of how to do that manually.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure if you saw this reply on a thread about Concrete Mixers where you declared your Shay purchase.

Hi
goty hold of a steamlines shay, propane with reote control did it ever have the ability to go in reverse also do you know any body who has any info

Many thanks john a complete newbie
wp_20170314_18_13_54_pro-jpg.220730
wp_20170314_18_14_09_pro-jpg.220731

Hi I had one many moons ago, sold it on but yes it does do reverse. If I remember correct the Osmotor (the Piston Geary thing on the other side to your pics) has a lever on it which effects reverse. Think it may also have been the regulator as well, but that may be in the Cab possibly just seen in Pic 2.

Vertical cylinder on the side with a screw low down is the Oil Reservoir. Undo this to let the remaining water out, undo top to fill with Steam Oil. Only use proper Steam Oil.

Gas tank was in the Bunker/Tender behind the cab which on mine had a dummy Wood Load and lifted off to reveal said Gas Tank. Only use Butane, do not be tempted to use Propane or Butans/Propane Mix. Temparature much higher with these and I would not trust old Merlin technology to be up to scratch for the higher heat. You can get Butane in Halfords.

Good luck with it, will run like the wind if you let it.
JonD

Further thougts a pic with the Cab Taken off on the side of the Osmotor might help remind me. Easy to do as there are Screws underneath. Make sure we see bith the Canpb Controls and the Motor.

Reactions: 1 user

Gary Lane

Registered
26 Apr 2017
Eugene, Oregon
www.youtube.com
Best answers
Country flag
Johnson Bar in cab on right side - Push forward or backward to reverse. Partial forward or partial reverse is slower since steam pressure is also on opposite side. Main problem with this model from my view is the huge 80 weight oil tank in the tender that is only to help generate darker steam exhaust. For my model that tank cools steam to hot water which does not run the motor. If your motor leaks steam and steam oil a lot, the sliding surfaces need to be lapped in using valve grinding compound. I hand lapped one side of the osi-motor on plate glass then assembled it and ran it with valve grinding compound using air for 1 minute. Cleaned everything up and lubed it before assembling and running on air to see if it ran smoothly and had less air leaking. Had to lap five times to get leaks stopped or at a very much reduce level. The engine runs well for 18 minutes until I added a radiant burner modification described on Southern Steam Trains website go to Reference, then scroll all the way to the bottom Notes from the Unit Shop and click on Radiant Burner link http://southernsteamtrains.com/notes/radiantpokerburners.htm.
This modification improved run time around 30 minutes depending on speeds and outside temperatures.